Hardware Identification

Previous topic - Next topic

Gint

Hi all, I need to replace a piece of hardware. It's the wheel that the backstay split cable runs through. I'm not sure how to find it online
because I'm entering the incorrect name. I need to order a new one. It's connected to the backstay with a number 10 T-bar and shackle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fhpgHo3g6gYsTeAK6
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

waughoo

Looks to me to be a ronstan wire shive. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Looks like a Schaefer brand wire sheave block.  However, I am confused why you have it. Is is part of a backstay adjuster system that is not shown in your photo? Otherwise the split is usually two wire terminated there with a swedge fitting.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Cowboy

That is a strange rigging set up - I've never seen a Catalina backstay that way. 

I'm not a rigger but it doesn't look safe to me -- or at least as safe as the normal set up.
I question whether the sheave is as strong as the normal backstay set up, but maybe others on here have other hard info about that.       
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Gint

It has a hydraulic back stay adjuster. I don't think this hardware is strong enough as there is a crack in it. That's why I need to replace. I will use whatever is recommended as a replacement.
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

KWKloeber

Do you have pic of the entire set up?
Is the adjuster on one side of the split wire -- that's how I would envision ending up with that sheave positioned like that.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Gint

I can get a photo tomorrow but yes, the adjuster is starboard side of the split, connecting to the stern chainplate.
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

Admiral_Swellson

Here's a discussion with pictures of a similar setup using dynema for the lower , which would be kinder to the sheave.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/adjustable-split-backstay-length.179956/

KWKloeber

Is it "just" the sheave that's damaged, nothing else on the block

The block looks like it has a nylon or Delrin sheave - probably there's a better choice and a stronger body of the block available.

IIWMSheave I'd call Garhauer who is most familiar with the loads on the backstay and could set you up with the lower block from its TR-W backstay adjuster.
It *should* run about $50 (I'm guessing because the whole adjuster assembly is $170.)  Talk to Kelly if she's still there.

Gint

1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

Gint

Thanks for the lead!

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 01, 2022, 08:20:07 AM
Is it "just" the sheave that's damaged, nothing else on the block

The block looks like it has a nylon or Delrin sheave - probably there's a better choice and a stronger body of the block available.

IIWMSheave I'd call Garhauer who is most familiar with the loads on the backstay and could set you up with the lower block from its TR-W backstay adjuster.
It *should* run about $50 (I'm guessing because the whole adjuster assembly is $170.)  Talk to Kelly if she's still there.
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

KWKloeber

You'll probably need to add a few easy peazy stainless washers to space out the clevis swivel on your T-bar so that it fits the thinner yoke on the garhauer wire block.

Noah

Ok, you got me curious... in one of your photos in your collection it looks like two round Christmas lightbulbs with a black cord ziptied to your stern pulpit stanchion??? I am I nuts?
Standard Rig

Gint

Hahaa, yes. The wife loves them. They are LED plastic bulb globe lights that run around the whole boat for evening drinks in the cockpit. Fully waterproof with fuse. Shore power only.

Quote from: Noah on March 01, 2022, 02:07:38 PM
Ok, you got me curious... in one of your photos in your collection it looks like two round Christmas lightbulbs with a black cord ziptied to your stern pulpit stanchion??? I am I nuts?
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

Noah

Cool. I feel a lot better knowing it wasn't some funky sternlight arrangement. :abd:
Standard Rig