Companionway Stairs / Walls Refinishing - C34 MkII

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral_Swellson

Just completed this project (a request from the Admiral) to refinish the companionway. Both steps and walls were pretty faded (sun bleached) and beat-up from the years of use.

I scoured the posts here before starting to get knowledge, opinions and ideas, from the many others who've done it (THANKS). Here's a little PDF of summarizing my experience with it and what I used. Several more pictures in the PDF to illustrate the process. Used EMTECH EM2000wvx WB Alkyd Varnish as this is what Catalina used at the time my boat was built. It was very easy to work with and I certainly recommend it for looks and color/texture matching of the rest of the boat.

https://robertgiroux.com/downloads/Companionway%20Stair%20Refinishing%20-%20C34%20MKII.pdf

waughoo

That turned out very nice.  We have a pretty tatty oil treated interior.  I missed the varnish switch over by 1 year :-( . 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

Thanks Robert,
This is very timely as it's on the winter list for Shamrock, and the snow has melted enough to get in.  Was debating with myself what varnish to use, contacted EMTECK still wasn't decided.  Due to your experience going to go with them. 
Thanks for sharing,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Robert,
Question, What type of brush did you use?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on February 28, 2022, 07:15:38 AM
Robert,
Question, What type of brush did you use?
Jim

I tried both a 2" "stain brush" and super cheap foam brushes and couldn't see a difference. It's very compliant, self-leveling and overall fool-proof forgiving, I think.

scgunner

Robert,

That turned out beautifully. I had to put non-slip pads on mine because people kept slipping on the way down even with the grooves.

Jim,

I've had very good luck with foam brushes when applying clear finishes. Just keep the brush wet, keep it moving and don't try to stretch the finish or you'll wind up with dry spots especially on a warm day.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

Robert

WOW what a tasteful transformation. They look better than new.
Hos many hours effort would you say you had into them (not elapsed!)

Wouks it be ok if i cross posted your write up over on the C30 wiki? I bet theres many who have the same "before" situation.

Very cool look.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 28, 2022, 08:21:49 AM
Robert

Wouks it be ok if i cross posted your write up over on the C30 wiki? I bet theres many who have the same "before" situation.

Very cool look.

-ken

Thank you 😊

Yes, cross post anywhere you like.

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: scgunner on February 28, 2022, 07:46:06 AM
Robert,

That turned out beautifully. I had to put non-slip pads on mine because people kept slipping on the way down even with the grooves.

Thanks Kevin,

Curious which varnish and "gloss" did you use?  I thought I'd have to add nonskid but so far it doesn't seem like it needs it. We're normally barefoot going through the companionway.

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 28, 2022, 08:21:49 AM
Robert

-ken

There's a lot of waiting/drying time in each step of course, but actual elbow grease is not that bad given the right tools and supplies. I'd guess actual labor would be around 8-10 hours over several days.

rmjohns

I need to re-varnish the walls in the companionway.  Did you have any issue with the thickness of the veneer as you were sanding?  Did you try to take all the old varnish off or just smooth it ? Looks like from the picture you managed to get most of it off.

I've been doing some projects and even with the EMTECH EM2000wvx WB, the match isn't perfect. I think the existing varnish has turned slightly red/orange with age. 

Looks great!
Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: rmjohns on February 28, 2022, 11:10:39 AM
I need to re-varnish the walls in the companionway.  Did you have any issue with the thickness of the veneer as you were sanding?  Did you try to take all the old varnish off or just smooth it ? Looks like from the picture you managed to get most of it off.

I've been doing some projects and even with the EMTECH EM2000wvx WB, the match isn't perfect. I think the existing varnish has turned slightly red/orange with age. 

Looks great!
Rob.

Thanks Rob,

The walls at first confused me as I thought the dark parts were the problem but it's the light "milky" parts that are actually what needs to be stripped off. That is the varnish that has gone milky with sun exposure. Strip as much off with chemical stripper, then sand as little as possible, and check the color evenness by wetting with a damp cloth.

Breakin Away

I did the same refinish job with the same varnish two years ago. For non-skid, I've had really good luck with this product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DP3QCEC

It's clear and virtually invisible from the top of the stairs. It's all soft textured polymer - no annoying "sand" or other stuff to abrade off.  One strip at the very edge of each step does the trick. Writeup and pictures here:

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8784.msg81486.html#msg81486

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

tonywright

I did the same thing last year. I got the same varnish from Catalina Direct.  They can match the varnish to the year of your boat. Used the same on the companionway doors to great effect, after a good sanding.
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada