Refinishing handrails

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

For anyone who has replaced the teak handrails withe stainless, do you have photos, project info, sourcing info, .......?
Thanks,
Mike....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

waughoo

Scgunner,

I like the tinted west system idea!!  One could over fill it and do a rough file job to match the diamond non skid to aid in hiding the repair.

Funny note about rail covers... my boat came with them despite the previous owner declining to regularly use them.  When I found them aboard, I installed them  as they looked better than the failing varnished rail.  That said, they have not been off in over a year :-D. I have since been designing a stainless swap solution in the background in hopes that some day I can get that maintenance item off my list.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Alex,

I used my covers the same way, to hide the teak that needed refinishing. I had found with or without covers the teak really needed to be refinished about every six months if you really wanted it to look good. And even when it does look good what do you do, you hide it under covers. It seems like a bit of a vicious cycle.

FYI, my rail replacement went like this. When you remove the teak you've got 12 holes in the deck. I decided I only needed three supports between the ends, the spacing went like this, the back end of the rail fills the first hole then I skipped two holes, a S/S support fills the next, then skip two more, another support, skip two more holes, last support, then one, hole then the front end.

You'll wind up with three center supports along with the ends and seven holes to be filled. The final product looks pretty close to what came from the factory after Catalina stopped using teak.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Kevin do you have any pics showing the grabrail replacement (completed)?

Ya, it (IMO) seems comical of those (not only on here) who tout the excellent brightwork, and then how to preserve it is to cover it up with canvas. 
Or is the concept to remove the various canvas pieces and show off the rails, and boards, and whatnot that are covered while at the dock?  Or maybe the idea is to preserve it for the N.O., when selling it "x" years down the line?

Seems if one doesn't care and just wants a no-maintenance color there (and doesn't like stainless as you and others have nicely done) -- just sand and paint the darn things w/ Awlgrip to match your canvas color or deck color or an accent color -- and be done with it, the periodic canvas expense, and maintenance!  TBTC, I guess.     
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

For me, I do enjoy SOME brightwork as it is quite pretty and yachty to look at while I am on the boat using it.  Typically, I would remove my covers when out and about but they would likely stay on while at the dock.  This is very similar to my window covers for the dodger.

That said, the handrails are a son of a biscuit to refinish so the payback is less valuable to me there when compared to the large flat surfaces of the hatch boards and rails.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I love my brightwork! I'm old school, having previously owned three wooden boats (42 ft., 36 ft. and 24 ft.) . I  like the looks of brightwork. And, I get a zen-like sense of accomplishment when doing my varnish (and enjoy showing it off). A couple of coats a year keeps it looking fine. The eyebrows are going to need stripping next time—particularly on the sunny side of the boat.  I don't remove anything, just lots of blue tape. Part of my ritual.  I do have covers on the handrails but always remove ALL boat covers when sailing or entertaining dockside.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on February 21, 2022, 11:50:33 AM
I love my brightwork! I'm old school, having previously owned three wooden boats (42 ft., 36 ft. and 24 ft.) . I  like the looks of brightwork. And, I get a zen-like sense of accomplishment when doing my varnish (and enjoy showing it off). A couple of coats a year keeps it looking fine. The eyebrows are going to need stripping next time—particularly on the sunny side of the boat.  I don't remove anything, just lots of blue tape. Part of my ritual.  I do have covers on the handrails but always remove ALL boat covers when sailing or entertaining dockside.

AND you show it off and don't hide it!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

crieders

How about a picture from the inside?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Craig Illman

I enjoyed the brightwork of the boats in adjacent slips.

Craig

scgunner

Just to clarify, the term "brightwork" to me has always meant chrome or polished stainless steel. And finished teak "the woodwork" or just "the teak".

Craig,

Like you I also love looking at beautifully maintained wooden boats, I just don't want to be the guy who does it.

Noah,

There's a guy on my gangway with a Grand Banks, I see him all the time on his boat, he's constantly working on the teak, it's obvious he enjoys this but while he's down there all the time and his boat looks great I rarely see it out of the slip. While I'm sure you also enjoy it I don't, I guess we all just have different ideas about what's fun about boating.

I'll try to see if I can get down to the boat some pictures posted for clarification.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Gunner—My 42 ft. was a wooden Grand Banks! Loved that boat. I was a live-aboarder back then.
Standard Rig

waughoo

Interesting Noah... a power boater going to sailing!  The 42s make great livable boats.  I have always had a soft spot for the BG46 classic.  The longer foredeck trunk to me makes the tri cabin look more pleasing to the eye.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Alex- i grew up sailing since I was a kid and of the 10 boats I've owned in my lifetime, from beach cats on up ... the Grand Banks was my only powerboat. Although, I used to be Ships Master in the Merchant Marine, and skippered research vessels, oil field supply ships and towboats, up to 250 ft, I will always be a "rag bagger" at heart.
Standard Rig

scgunner

Here are some photos of the railings and the hatch cover runners where I replaced the teak with starboard. Sorry about the quality they're a little dark but it was cloudy and rainy, yes it happens once and a while even in sunny SoCal.

waughoo

Noah,

I grew up as a sailor, but call myself an equal opportunity boater: if it's windy, I sail, if it is cloudy and rainy, I will take a comfy power boat with an inside helm, if it is smooth and glassy, I'll waterski.  That said, I am not a fan of jet skis. :-)

Scgunner,

Those handrails look pretty legit!!  Did you have someone make them based on a template you provided?  Also, did you laminate up a few pieces of starboard to get to that thickness on the hatch rails?  I have considered doing those out of something different as well.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte