Hauling a boat - looking for your experience

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthieu G

Hi everyone,

I have my eyes on a C34 which seems to be in very good condition but is far from home.

Before making an offer, I try to assess what the transport logistics would represent. To bring it back home, I either have to find a cradle or a trailer. I have access to a flatbed (if I can only find a cradle) and a truck.

Could someone tell me what is the total height of a C34 with wing keel? (Without the mast of course).

I read here that it is very important that 75% of the weight is on the nose of the keel and 25% on the hull.

Any recommendations or experience with hauling a boat on a cradle that is placed on a flatbed?

Is there any difference with a standard cradle and a "shipping" cradle?

Thank you
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada

Jim Hardesty

Matthieu G,
As much as I like to be hands on with everything concerning my boat, trucking it is something that I would just have someone that does it all the time do.  A lot is involved, oversize permits, loading and securing boat and I'm sure much else.  If you tell us the boats location and where you want to move it to some member here may have experience. 
Good choice with a Catalina 34,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

patrice

Hi,

When we bought our boat, it was located in the long island area, NY.
And wanted the boat on lake champlain, NY.
We could have sailed it up north, but was not confortable with a new boat to us that we did not know well.

So I got a specialized boat transport company.  Glad I did.  The boat was very well secured on the truck.
Mast well transported.
As mentioned, the boat width need special permit.
Most important thing for me, is that they have proper insurance if something had to happen.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

scgunner

Patrice,

I always err on the side of safety so I think you made a good call but rather than shipping your boat by truck wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to hire a qualified skipper and have him deliver the boat? You could have also crewed for him and learned a lot about your boat along the way.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Lockview is first class and i highly recommend them. Call and chat with Allison about the move.
https://www.lockviewmarina.com/boat-transport/
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Mat : "Without the mast"???  I'm sure that you will also be shipping the mast (taken down).  Also the boat sounds as though it is out of the water? so it is on jack stands or a cradle?? Ship the stands with the boat. Jack stands will be the first thing that you need at destination!!
The C34 is about 15,000 lbs so the flat bed you are talking about must be being pulled by a semi tractor!?!  The brochure 12,500 lbs was a "design goal" - which Catalina missed!!

As mentioned there will be permits (extra wide load) and specified routes (bridge clearances, etc.) from where the boat is to your new destination - I'll guess that you'll be better off with a boat hauling company.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

When mine was shipped to the west coast, they pulled it with an F-450 super duty duely pick up and a steel dual axle boat trailer that had adjustable jack stands.  Pretty pedestrian equipment.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Matthieu G

Hi
I got the message that there are limits to what I can consider doing myself. :?
Do you think it would be easier with a trailer?

I admit that I was looking for an alternative, because with the explosion of gasoline costs here, I received a quote for transportation that was very very expensive. I will continue to knock on other doors, we never know.

Ron: Yes I meant with the mast down.  :-)  (Sorry for my english, I'm French Canadian.)
Regarding the tractor, a Dodge Ram 2500 (for example) is capable of pulling nearly 20,000lbs. A 3500, even more.
I take note for the jack stands.
Ideally I would like to have the boat shipped with a cradle.

Thank you all for your point of views and suggestions.

EDIT:  I forgot: Does anyone know the height of a C34 with the wing keel?

Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Admiral_Swellson

Hi Mathieu,

Did you mention the origin and destination for this boat shipment?

Dave Spencer

Matthieu,
Have a look at the Tech Wiki. There are all of the Catalina 34 manuals there. Dimesnions of the boat including  heights and recommended location of cradle pads are there. After you own the boat, jack stands are a way to go for haulout but my experience is that marinas much prefer cradles. I can't imagine how the boat could be trucked without a cradle.
Good luck with your purchase. They are fine noats and there's lots of help here as you learn about your C34.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Matthieu G

Quote from: Robert Giroux on February 19, 2022, 02:27:55 PM
Hi Mathieu,

Did you mention the origin and destination for this boat shipment?

Hi Robert,

The boat is located up north Michigan and I'm in the Acadian peninsula in New-Brunswick (Chaleur Bay).
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe boat is located up north Michigan and I'm in the Acadian peninsula in New-Brunswick (Chaleur Bay)

Could sail it there, would take me a month or a little more.  Would be a nice trip, Trent-Severn canal, St. Lawrence all down river.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Matthieu G

Yes Jim, I agree that it would surely be a very nice trip, but my schedule this summer will not allow me. (But the Trent-Severn canal with its 45 locks wow!) Otherwise I thought of cutting the trip in two. Part of the trip by truck to the St. Lawrence River in Ontario / Quebec for example and do the rest of the navigation. Two weeks I imagine.
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

patrice

Quote from: scgunner on February 19, 2022, 07:31:33 AM
Patrice,

I always err on the side of safety so I think you made a good call but rather than shipping your boat by truck wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to hire a qualified skipper and have him deliver the boat? You could have also crewed for him and learned a lot about your boat along the way.

Yes it would have been a nice trip.
But,  it was faster on a truck 😊
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~