Well…this is embarrassing

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

I've owned my Cat MkII for 6 months. Last week I went to run the engine at higher than idle RPM but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to increase RPM while in neutral. Every other boat I've sailed has a button on the lever which you press in to disengage the transmission. But, on my boat, nada. Just a black plastic disc which budges not a milimetre when I press it.

What am I missing????
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Ron Hill

Keel : OEM - The Throttle is on the starboard and the Shifter in on the port side.  Shift in neutral (center position) and move (forward) the throttle lever to increase RPM!!

If you have other than the standard Edson Throttle/Shifter that is OEM for all C34s you need to post a picture!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

KG

Was she repowered?
Do you have a Westerbeke (not Seaward) engine panel? 
A single-lever shift/throttle (like on a Beneteau or J boat)?

It's very helpful (help us to help you) if you put all the pertinent boat/engine info in your signature or sidebar profile!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KeelsonGraham

Hi chaps. It's a Westerbeke M35B. Photo attached (hopefully).

KWKloeber

KG

You have a lever on both sides, correct?
One (port) being Rev-Neutral-Fwd the other (stbd) throttle?

When I'm neutral just advance the throttle. Or am I missing some oddity on your pedestal?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 16, 2022, 09:53:54 AM
KG

You have a lever on both sides, correct?
One (port) being Rev-Neutral-Fwd the other (stbd) throttle?

When I'm neutral just advance the throttle. Or am I missing some oddity on your pedestal?

No KW. I have just this one lever. Back for reverse, forward for ahead and a detente in the middle for neutral at about 750 RPM.

Apparently there's no facility for increasing the revs while in neutral.

Jim Hardesty

Here is how I've seen other single lever work.
Push in the black button when the lever is centered in neutral at idle.  That allows the engine to rev with the transmission in neutral.  If that isn't working something is wrong with the shifter/throttle or linkage.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on February 16, 2022, 12:31:16 PM
Push in the black button when the lever is centered in neutral at idle.  That allows the engine to rev with the transmission in neutral.  If that isn't working something is wrong with the shifter/throttle or linkage.
Jim

AHA! Thank you Jim. it must be a stuck button. I'll investigate.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on February 16, 2022, 12:39:49 PM
Jim

KG, it's hard to tell from your photo but if pushing the black button IN doesn't do anything, perhaps pulling the circular part of ss handle out gently may do it.

We once did a house exchange in France and they had an old Peugot.  It took me a quarter of an hour to find reverse!!!  I'd owned a VW Bug and driven many other stick shifts, but this one had me stumped.  I don't recall now what the trick was but it was definitely counter-intuitive.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on February 16, 2022, 12:39:49 PM
Jim

Possibly giggling the handle back and forth slightly while pushing button will help it find register?

wingman

2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

KWKloeber

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on February 16, 2022, 11:21:05 AM

I have just this one lever. Back for reverse, forward for ahead and a detente in the middle for neutral at about 750 RPM.

Apparently there's no facility for increasing the revs while in neutral.

KG   Thank you for the additional explanation -- I couldn't tell if there was a port-side handle.

Push in the button;
Pull the handle hub OUT to the "throttle only" position (disengages the handle from the spline that drives the Fwd-Rev cable.)
Advance the throttle.

If the handle doesn't slide, there might be corrosion on the shaft.  Try working teflon spray onto the handle shaft/button.  Edson recommends that the handle be removed annually.  Reinstall with a lube on the moving parts so corrosion doesn't get a foothold (or a handhold!)  If you email Edson they can email you the manual for it.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHis mkii being a 2006 could have come with it?

Think so.  Look at the picture, there's a table/console, whatever they call it, in front of the wheel that the shifter/throttle is mounted.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

rmjohns

That's a nice setup. With the throttle and gear on opposite sides of the pedestal, I feel like I need 3 hands when docking gets sporty. 
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC