Hull bottom paint question- What am I looking at?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : If you want to find out what dissolves a paint - call the company that makes it.  They can tell you right off!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on February 14, 2022, 12:59:39 PM
QuoteBUT now that she's south and therefore not seasonally on the hard, VC-17 is a PITA.  Now I'd LOVE to have a hard or ablative paint -- but cannot (easily) apply that once VC has been used.

I've given that, removing VC-17, some thought.  I'm thinking acetone or other solvent and lots of wiping.  Then some light sanding.
What is the PITA of VC-17 south.  I'm thinking, in the back of my alleged mind. that I may do a cruise to Fla for a couple of years.  What would be the problem with VC-17?
Jim

Jim

VC doesn't last typically but a season.  And here no one pulls their boat for annual storage. There IS NO STORAGE, only working yard space -- so it's an extra annual cost to just pull to wash and renew the VC rather than using a multi-year hard or ablative bottom.  Hardcore racers might justify the added cost. 

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Jim : I've found that with an ablative paint, if you spray on TSP (garden sprayer) and scrub with a medium grade scrub pad, most of the paint will come off.  A second time and it's all off!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

When I bought my boat, the lower boot stripe was painted over with bottom paint.  I used citristrip painted on THICK and then covered with plastic to keep it from drying out.  After about 3 or so hours, I removed the plastic and scraped off the loose paint.  After about three rounds, it was mostly gone and I sanded the remaining off.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Quote from: waughoo on February 15, 2022, 09:50:49 PM

When I bought my boat, the lower boot stripe was painted over with bottom paint.  I used citristrip painted on THICK and then covered with plastic to keep it from drying out.  After about 3 or so hours, I removed the plastic and scraped off the loose paint.  After about three rounds, it was mostly gone and I sanded the remaining off.

That must have been way back before someone determined that if one lets a few flakes of paint hit the ground before cleaning it up or letting a teaspoon of dust into the breeze will kill us all? :donno: :donno:
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Oh no... it was recently :-)  however, it was done exceptionally carefully to catch the paint scraped off, and a festool random orbital with festool dust collection vac to catch the airborn dust while sanding.  I only HALF died... but it was worth it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte