light bulbs and battery switch

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim "SV Ohana"

Couple questions, does anyone know the bulb number for the masthead light and deck light??
Also battery selector switch question, with the selector switch at OFF I still have juice to the DC pannel.  Is this normal (last boat everything was dead) or is something crossing over. Only had this boat for a month, so am sorting out all the issues.
Thanks
Jim

Ted Pounds

Jim,

Normally all panel items are dead with the switch off.  Sounds like the PO did some re-wiring.   You might want to pull the panel and do some wire tracing so you know what's going on.  That said the PO of my boat wired a few things to bypass the battery switch.  One of them  was the VHF.  That's important beacuse in the event of an electrical fire you want to be able to kill almost everyting at the master switch but it's a good idea to still have the radio to call for help.  When I added my GPS I bypassed it for the same reason.  The bilge pump also should bypass the switch (mine comes directly off the battery).  Of course all should have proper circuit protection (fuses or breakers).  In my case some of these circuits were not fused and I had to add fuses.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jim "SV Ohana"

Changed the anchor light, couldn't come up with the 3w bulb that was in there so subbed a 7w, seams to work OK just draws a bit more juice.
Still tracing the battery wiring, has a Balmar alternator and regulator, one 12v starter battery and 4 6v house.
Jim

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."