steps in the Boat

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

Hi togheter,
The steps have these grooves. I find it really hard to keep them reasonably clean all the time. I can remember seeing pictures somewhere on the internet where these grooves were cast (?) with something. Does anyone have an idea how to do that? you could then, for example, coat the smooth surface with something non-slip material.

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Craig Illman

I filled mine with DOW 795, left over from rebedding the fixed port lights.

Craig

waughoo

I cant remember who did that on here but it was basically a fill with caulk and sand flat like one does with a teak deck.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mregan

I also filled mine with Dow 795 but any black sealant should work. 

Taped off around the groove.  Filled with the sealant then ran a razor blade (or anything with a flat edge) along the groove to flatten out the top of sealant.  Wait until it dries and peel off the tape.  Mines been going strong for 9 years.  I don't find it helps with grip at all but keeps the grooves clean.

Ron Hill

Hogler and Guys :The steps are to WALKED ON!!  They are not a piece of fine furniture !!   

I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes about a friend of mines 1st Mate that took a "header" down those steps because they were slippery!!

I recommend that C34 owners use double white "Anti Skid " strips on the top and bottom steps and a single strip of anti skid on the two steps in-between.  They give traction (especially when wet) and they also stand out at night or in low light.  Read my article w/pictures.   

Safety is more important than beauty!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

KWKloeber

Holger if you want flat surfaces so that you can apply non-skid tape (and eliminate the dirt-catching grooves) carefully fill them to the top (slightly convex) with clear epoxy resin (use west system resin and the "special hardener", which is clear) and sand flat.  Then varnish over for UV protection.

Or fill them w/ silicone to create grip strips but (IMO) those alone are not enough antislip for boat stairs!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : I like the router indention strips as they catch any dirt and small stones.  Better there than on the Teak/Holly sole - that easily scratches!!

I easily clean the indentions one a year when I clean the anti skid strips with some Bar Tenders Choice!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Dwainideus

I ripped teak strips, just wide and deep enough to fit into each groove in the tread, allowing for about 1/16" on each side and above the strip.  I then pin nailed/glued each strip into place.  The reasoning behind the application of the strips is that this would allow for more surface area for the wood filler to adhere to which I later applied.  It would also minimize the thickness of the filler which should reduce the tendency for cracking.  The entire tread was taped off, except the grooves with blue painters tape.  Famowood Wood Filler was applied with a putty knife, making sure it was worked deeply into each groove.  After the filler cured, the painter's tape was removed, leaving the putty proud, which I sanded flush using 220 grit sandpaper.  I then applied three coats of MinWax spar urethane varnish.  After the varnish was cured, 1" wide clear rubberized anti skid tape was applied on each side of the grooves.  So far, seems to have turned out well, it's been over a year, no cracking or peeling.  And the anti-skid is working as advertised, no slips or falls.  In addition, the filler matches the flooring in the boat.  Photo attached showing cross section of a groove with teak strip installed, and filler applied.  The strip creates a U shaped channel.

Dwainideus

more pictures

KWKloeber

Beautiful. Bravo!

I wonder if tinted epoxy resin/hardener/thickener "wood" accomplish the same effect?  Or possibly tinted white MarineTex?

Do you have info on the clear non-skid that you used?  The pics don't show those, correct? (unless that are REALLY clear.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dwainideus

I found the non skid tape on Amazon:  Safe Way Traction 1"x60' clear rubberized anti slip non skid safety tape 3530-1.  And you're correct, in these photos of the completed stairs, the anti skid isn't installed, my foul up...but it is pretty transparent.  If you look carefully at the cross sectional view, you can see the tape on the left.  Not sure about the epoxy, I chose the filler as I figured the varnish wouldn't have an issue with adherence.