Mk1/Mk1.5 Cabin Sole in Galley area

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan7_

I am the newest owner of C34 #161 "Windarra", we moved her to Chicago last summer.

This might be a long shot, but I am missing the section of my teak and holly cabin sole in the companionway/galley are completely, as well as the kick panel in the aft cabin (yes, we factored this into the purchase agreement), and it would be an incredible time saver if I could somehow make an accurate template from someone else's pieces, or at least get an idea of what is going on between the liner and the sole pieces in the galley - the fiberglass liner has a bit of a concavity to it, and I am wondering how the leveling of the wood pieces is achieved (I believe there are 2 with a seam in the center).

I have reason to believe there are shims, standoffs, bungs, or a radiused bottom to the floor pieces, but I have no point of reference as to how the floor was installed at the factory.  I would like to keep it in line with the original design because I am just that kind of person.  I did talk to Catalina but they said the plans/design/jigs are long gone.

I am in Chicago, and for posterity's sake I am thinking of creating a CAD file for all the individual pieces of the floor that I do have, and if I can make new pieces or get my hands on original pieces that I am missing from another boat I could get those into that file.  I could publicly share this CAD file for all Mk1/Mk1.5 users, and then we'd all have the option to mill out new cabin soles on a CNC.  HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?!?!?  :D

If anyone knows whats going on under there as far as the leveling goes, that would help out a bunch.  At least then I could woodwork a new piece in there and take my measurements from that for the CAD project.

Does anyone know how the galley area is leveled?  Or are the pieces just sitting directly on the fiberglass liner?
1986 C34 Mk1 #161 "Windarra"

Ron Hill

brendan : You are best to find a 1986 C34 in the Chicago area and copy that galley floor panel from that boat.  I might add that the closer match to your hull # the better because Catalina has been known to change items during a production year and VERY likely to change the next & subsequent years!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

On my late MK 1 (1990) the teak & holly plywood sole panel just screws down to the floor pan hull liner, with no spacers.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

This is even a LONGER shot than your question.

H&L had supplied the interior/exterior teak to CTY but has been out of biz for probably 10 years. I don't know if H&L supplied the T&H sole but they had patterns for everything they supplied.

Cesar (was H&L lead carpenter) acquired most or all of the patterns.  I suggest you call him.

Cesar Pacheco
CP Marine
(three one zero) five three eight-five five two eight
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Let's not all call him at once, but man... if someone got the original patterns and then build a CAD file, I would be VERY much interested.  I need to replace mine (completely shot!) and would much prefer to have a CNC router table cut mine out vs me :-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ChrisOB

I started trying to rebuild the complex curves of my aft cabin floor. It ended up low on the list so have been cruising for a couple years with a white floor back there. Saw these folks at the Annapolis show this year. I am going to send them a template and have them send me a synthetic sheet with 'teak and holly stripes' to put there. Not that yachty but grippy.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

ewengstrom

Another option to the CAD is the second kind of "CAD"....(Cardboard Aided Design) design. I've done this many times with great success and it's simple and effective.
A fellow at our marina bought his 88 C-34 and much of his cabin sole was delaminating, he was able to use his old pieces as a pattern and purchased two pieces of 4'x8'  (1/4" or 5/16", can't remember) teak and holly plywood to redo his entire sole, it came out beautifully. The cost was about $250.00 per sheet two years ago.

A word of caution....he was reinstalling his last piece in the aft cabin and I'm really not going to go into the details but he was drilling that last hole in the aft starboard corner and went a bit deep with the bit....yep...he drilled right thru the bottom of the boat.  :shock: (yes...we were both in the water at the time too)
He called me in a panic and I went down to asses the problem with him, we were able to get it sealed up but please remember to use a SHORT screw in that back corner, (or anywhere near the hull) that particular spot of cabin sole rests directly on the inside of the hull.....In retrospect it was quite hilarious and he and I laugh about it now....but he wasn't laughing at the time.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

glennd3

Brendan,

Welcome to the site, the site has a wealth of info and the members are very helpful too.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

ErikN

We pulled out all of the pieces for revarnishing last summer. I'm pretty sure the bottom of that piece in the galley was rounded to accommodate the curvature of the liner. There were no spacers or shims of any sort.
Erik
Erik Noonburg, Seattle WA
#53 1986, SR/FK, M25, "Callooh! Callay!"

brendan7_

Quote from: ErikN on February 05, 2022, 07:30:13 AM
We pulled out all of the pieces for revarnishing last summer. I'm pretty sure the bottom of that piece in the galley was rounded to accommodate the curvature of the liner. There were no spacers or shims of any sort.
Erik

This helps a lot, thanks for passing it along.  it definitely makes fabrication of a new piece more of a PITA, but at least points me in the right direction. 
1986 C34 Mk1 #161 "Windarra"

jwolstenholme

Pulled my cabin sole out last weekend. Planning to purchase the teak & holly plywood this weekend and start templating - 1986 MK1. Plan to clear epoxy all sides to seal. Did you do the job yet?
Jon Wolstenholme, #28 1986, "OSPREY"
Newport, RI. Coasters Navy Marina
SR/FK, M25

waughoo

I haven't started mine yet, but am very keen to do so.  I have the teak and holly sheets already, but my perfectionist ways are keeping me from starting.  I want a template I can router cut for a nice clean edge.  Making that template is the hard part.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Jon,

Those are without a doubt the ugliest floorboards I have ever seen. Well at least you've got templates for the new boards.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : Be careful when you purchase T/H sole replacement, because the original in the Mk1 boats was 1/4" thickness.   Most of the recent replacement T/H sheets are now metric thickness!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

jwolstenholme

Boulter Plywood has Teak & Holly plywood 1/4" about an hour from me. Just bought the boat that had been on the hard for about 6 years, companionway had a pretty good leak that was unattended. Planning to have her back in the water by May with a little hard work.
Jon Wolstenholme, #28 1986, "OSPREY"
Newport, RI. Coasters Navy Marina
SR/FK, M25