Looking to buy a Cat34, need advice from members

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthieu G

Hi everyone !

I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading it for the past weeks.
I'm looking forward to buy my next dream boat, a Cat 34. :-)

I'm writing here today because I would appreciate some feedback about some "issues" from two 34 I'm interested in.

1- A leaking black stain of water coming from the rudder.
2- A rust stain coming from the exhaust pipe on the transom.

What do you think would be the causes and how to fix them ?

3- Can a big opening (a square cut approximately a foot and a half by a foot and a half) can weaken the structure of a bulkhead and the deck above?

Thanks for you inputs
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada

Matthieu G

Oups, the transom photo was missing.
Here it is.
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Ron Hill

Matt : I'm sure that if you put a moisture meter on that rudder you'll find that it's SOAKED!!  I'm sure that the seal around the stainless rudder column and the rudder layup has been broken - letting water into the layup and rusting the steel grid welded to the column!!

On the rust stain for the Emergency bilge pump exit - I'll guess that the rust is from the wire reinforcement in that hose?!?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

The rudder could be waterlogged and glass deteriorated (toast,) or it could be just wet (rather easily fixed/rebuilt.)  You might try negotiating the cost of a new style rudder - material cost if you can't get labor also.   

Depends on where the opening is cut.  Pictures?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

As Ron said that stern fitting is from manual bilge pump not engine exhaust—at least on my MK1 boat the exhaust is on the Portside. What you see is probably rust from hose wire. But, it may also be from rusty keel bolts or other ferrous metal parts/bits in the bilge water? Check the bilge.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Matthieu G

Thank you gentlemen for you indications on the rudder.

Indeed, I confused the exhaust with the bilge pump exit.

Here is a photo of the hole in the bulkhead.

Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Noah

Hole in the bulkhead shouldn't be a problem other than aesthetics. Looks like it was recessed for a TV or something. Not what I would do...??? Also, the 110V outlet on that bulkhead may be a previous owner mod, too? Mine is on the V-berth side. Check the wiring. Kind of a mish-mash on that bulkhead with, the school-style wall clock too. Perhaps it was a live aboard at one time? What year/model and hull number is the boat?
Standard Rig

waughoo

The stain on the transom at the bilge pump exit is likely not anything to worry about.  It might be an indication of a dirty bilge that when it gets pumped out stains the gel coat.  My boat had the same stain and i resolved it by using a hull cleaner (star bright) and then polishing the hull... all gone now.  Also, the hose that is used for that thru-hull fitting rarely has a wire in it.  I doubt that is the source.

What others have said regarding the rudder are likely accurate. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Matthieu G

Those photos are from two different boat.
The bulkhead one is from a C34 1986 shoal draft, but I don't know the hull number.
I also thought it was for a television.
Indeed it is a strange idea to cut the bulkhead, but everyone has their own reasons.
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

glennd3

Matt ,

I am not sure but the rudder looks like it maybe an upgrade because it looks longer than originals. It extends further aft.

Ps the more info about the boats you give this group the better they can respond to your questions. Pictures help too. Good luck finding the 34 for you.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

>>> Pictures help too <<<

Especially as many pics of the engine nooks and crannies as you can get can sometimes spot a potential issue.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Come On Guys : How many times do you use the emergency bilge pump to get a stain out the exit????  The only time I do is when I periodically (every couple of years) check to make sure it is working!! 

That stain should NOT be there!!!

A few thoughts   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

That is just one of the reasons why I said check the bilge. Perhaps that manual pump is their only pump... or?... as for the rudder I have seen a couple of aftermarket "large" barn door-style rudders like that on other boat pics on our website.
Standard Rig

waughoo

That Central exit on my transom serves both the manual bilge pump and the electric bilge pump via a wye a bit aft of the manual bilge pump.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

A few years ago the "oversized rudder" subject came up with much heated discussion :abd:
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10327.0.html
Standard Rig