What projects do you wish you had done when your mast was down?

Previous topic - Next topic

shehant

Taking the mast down this offseason to install a windmeter (couldn't remove old wiring/get it through the conduit with the mast up).  Will likely replace halyards, spreader boots, and add a spinnaker crane while its down.

Are there any other projects you wish you had done when you had the mast down that I should think of?

Admiral_Swellson

I haven't had the mast down yet but definitely going to replace the vhf coax cable. Obviously inspect all sheaves, rigging, etc.

waughoo

- Service the mast head shives (got to take the whole mast head fitting out so you can't do it with the mast up.
- run a second wire chase up the mast so one is for the spreader height and 2nd is for the mast head.  Mine is getting quite full!!
- replace ALL light fixtures on the mast with new LED (MUCH nicer to do on the ground rather than in the chair
- replace all mast wiring with new tinned wire (bought mine from Pacer in Florida.  They can build you what you want and cut it to length)
- replace VHF antenna wire with LMR 400 ultraflex (stranded copper for nice bends) or equivelent.  Mine was rg56 or 59!!! So tiny!
- replace vhf antenna with vesper ais/vhf tuned antenna (will work better for both if you dont already have ais.

I am sure thrre is more, but thats most of what I did (except the mast conduit... wish i had).
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAre there any other projects you wish you had done when you had the mast down that I should think of?

I like my LED anchor light.  You may consider one.  Of course a close inspection of everything, the rigging, halyard sheaves and steaming light. Find someone with a swr meter and check the VHF antenna and coaxial cable.  The swr meter needs to be connected to the working radio/antenna.  So check before unstepping then replace if needed.
FWIW.  Replacing halyards is the same mast up or down.  Sew the end of the new halyard to the end of the old and pull thru.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Kyle Ewing

Take pictures of everything so you have record of what it's supposed to look like.  Check spreader bases for cracks.  Run a messenger line in case you need to pull a wire in the future.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Jim Hardesty

More things I thought of. 
I take Don Casey's (Good Old Boat) recommendation and wax the mast.  Use a turtle wax type car wax.  I take my mast down every 5 years for a good inspection, sooner if something needs done, the wax seems to me to keep the anodized aluminum looking good. 
Also, I installed a pair of folding mast steps near the top high enough so I can stand on them and be high enough to work on the top of the mast.  Working from a bosuns chair everything on the mast head is too high to comfortably work on.
Don't forget a coin under the mast, for tradition and luck.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

mdidomenico

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Jim Hardesty

My two cents. The anemometer only measures the wind speed along with the wind vane it's a windmeter.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Robert Mann

I would replace the Windex (mechanical wind direction indicating arrow).  Because the red tail indicators fall off eventually and the thing looks like crap, and I am not going up the mast just for that.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Noah

If you are adding or redoing wires, add an LED to light-up the windex. I was supposed to have one in my "plans" but ran out of unused wires after installing the tricolor, etc.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

dfloeter

When I rewired I updated the deck light by installing an led light on a spreader that really lights up the boat.  That along with aforementioned windex light were great additions. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

waughoo

This is the foredeck mast head steaming combo light I installed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/store.marinebeam.com/amp/led-masthead-foredeck-combination-light/

I too installed the windex lamp.  I am still getting the wiring sorted out because I have a mast head tri color as well as my deck level lights.  I want to have it turn on with either or.

This is the mast head/anchor light I installed.  I also mounted it on the short mast extension they sell.  It has a dusk to dawn photo cell feature for the anchor light.  Pretty slick!

https://www.lunasealighting.com/product/led-navigation-fixtures-and-bulbs/tricolor-ais-fixture-no-ais-interference/
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I also added an extra conduit to handle radar and LED spreader lights.  All was done 6+ years ago and haven't needed to pull my keel-stepped mast since then. When I finally do, I will try and fish another pair of wires to the masthead for windex light. I miss it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Noah... It was your idea that I read once on here and when this topic came up, I felt it was worth repeating!!  Unfortunately I hadn't seen it when my mast WAS down :-(  I struggled to get my new radar cable up the mast after it was up as my conduit is QUITE full.  I have one more wire to pull up there for my loud hailer and then I should be done messing with the mast wiring for a bit.  Hooefully i can get it to fit  :shock:
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Steve_in_lex

Make the tails of the windex symmetrical.   (Or, maybe I DO point 20 degrees higher on starboard?)
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"