False high temp readings and engine harness plug

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Alex.  Abbreviated answers

Negative, its been posted on here b4 (Rod and I) about doing that.  Yes if you have multiple lugs you'd need a longer (M8) bolt.

I'm looking at 50 ATCs on my table if you cant find what you want. Which location is this for?

The BS V loss chart is based on the copper, the ampacity rating is based on the insulation (how many electrons can be pushed thru it b4 it melts.

Yes, charts from ABYC.  I'll post it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

I think I have a source for the ATC fuse with 10awg tinned.  That is for protecting the harness wiring for the panel which came unprotected from new. 

Your and Rod's articles are what I have been using to guid this section of the project.  I will move that negative with a replacement longer starter bolt probably when I do the harmess fuse install.

I look forward to seeing your chart for wire gauge.  Thanks for all your input on this project.  It has been very much appreciated.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Alex

Unless you have a lug crimper you can't *properly* do the fuse there.
An M8 (5/16") ring terminal is crap to use, especially if it's Ancor brand, which are inferior compared to FTZ (likewise Ancor lugs.)  Regardless of the brand, the ring is too thin and there's very little meat left with a 5/16" hole.  I use ONLY an M8 lug there because the ring terminal can eventually fail. 
Go big or go home. 

If you don't have a lug crimper PM me your addy and I'll send you a fuse setup.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

waughoo

I know what you mean regarding how thin the material gets with those larger hole sizes.  I do have a lug crimper but I still have to order the fuse anyway.  I am open to buying a whole set up from you.  Check your messages.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Alex, Got it!
You can't buy one, but you can owe me a boat ride.

waughoo

It's a deal Ken!

***edit***

Ken... the fuse would actually go on the starter possitive lug.  I cant remember if that is 5/16 or smaller.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : On the M25XP I believe that lug is larger than 1/4".  Don't know about the M35 engine.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 08, 2022, 02:32:37 PM

Alex : On the M25XP I believe that lug is 1/4".  Don't know about the M35 engine.

@Ron et al

On all the "non-B" and "non-A" engines the "B" terminal on the starter solenoid is an M8 post (~5/16").

I suspect but am not 100%, that on "A" and "B" engines the feed to the panel (from the 20a breaker) is a 1/4" terminal.

@ Alex
I attached the ABYC ampacity tables.  Note that when entering the tables I have never seen any "marine wire" (Ancor, Pacer, etc.) that is other than 105C insulation (although naturally other wire could be used.)

-Ken

waughoo

As always... thanks for the info and assistance Ken.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

girmann

I did a similar repair on my C28, and it's very satisfying. I went with the mounted blue sea connectors instead of the ones you used here. Some idea, though. I know that you'd only disconnect the wiring harness in the engine bay if you were going to disconnect the engine, but I felt like it gave me a way to isolate things if I had to troubleshoot. Never needed to, though. My biggest issue was that the harness had clearly been changed before because the wiring wasn't tinned marine wire.
Proud owner of hull #1488

KWKloeber

Quote from: girmann on March 16, 2022, 04:07:55 AM

the harness had clearly been changed before because the wiring wasn't tinned marine wire[/b].

Just to clarify about what was used OEM - neither Universal (OEM engine harness) nor Catalina/Seaward (panel and harness extension) used Type III (fine stranded,) tinned "marine" wire or "marine" terminals.

Apparently the concept of Catalinas being floating RVs was taken a step too far!  :rolling :shock:

Universal STILL uses untinned, Type II (stiff "auto wire") harnesses and Dennis (former Seaward) STILL uses "auto" terminals on engine panels for CatDirect.

Quality Penny pinching is Job 1.

girmann

Whoa. Seriously? I thought that was part of the wiring standard. Go figure.

Someone from the C28 IA thought that the hull had been hit by lightning at some point and they replaced the wiring. Good to know that wasn't the case?

I ripped it all out and replaced it with the right stuff on the C28. Now you're telling me I'm going to have to do the same with my C34!

Mark
Proud owner of hull #1488

KWKloeber

Seriously.
What standard?  ABYC?  Certainly not CTY standard!
ABYC is a voluntary standard. 

waughoo

My favorite CTY "standard" were the inline tap and splice connectors I found on the lighting circuit and ground wire for each cabin light.  Unfortunately, that ground wire is also the ground for the NAV lights :-(

Example of what I found:
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/43590769
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte