Solar, LiFePo4, Inverter, 34MkII - What I did it

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral_Swellson

Here's a PDF that provides an overview of what I did to upgrade my MKII with LiFePo4 house battery and solar charging. We like to anchor in remote-ish parts of Biscayne Bay for weekends and long-weekends with constant refrigeration and fans. So far the system works well.

https://robertgiroux.com/downloads/Solar_LiFePo4_Inverter_Catalina_34MkII.pdf

Would love feedback, opinions and questions. I'm not in any way an expert but I've been researching it all quite intensely for a while now.

Noah

For those considering a "drop-in" LifePo4 battery, here is some info from MaineSail to add to your research:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/473516330105532/permalink/1068434110613748/

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Admiral_Swellson

For full disclosure, I'm not selling anything nor am I getting any commission or affiliate link or any such thing. I bought all my products because I thought they were the best for the money. The AmpereTime batteries are excellent drop in replacements with sophisticated battery management systems, quality cells and construction. Completely sealed, making them an excellent choice for marine applications. They don't have low temperature charging protection so not appropriate for boaters needing to charge below freezing temperatures. Nothing I'll ever experience in my boat.

Medved

Quote from: Robert Giroux on January 25, 2022, 02:20:33 PM
Here's a PDF that provides an overview of what I did to upgrade my MKII with LiFePo4 house battery and solar charging. We like to anchor in remote-ish parts of Biscayne Bay for weekends and long-weekends with constant refrigeration and fans. So far the system works well.

https://robertgiroux.com/downloads/Solar_LiFePo4_Inverter_Catalina_34MkII.pdf

Would love feedback, opinions and questions. I'm not in any way an expert but I've been researching it all quite intensely for a while now.

Thank you for posting. I am thinking about doing this to my c34 as well. If you don't mind me asking how much did you end up investing? Also, did you consider high output generator and/or small portable generator. My use is also weekends, and not long term cruising. Most of the time I just day sail, so don't want to drop 10K for such a limited need.

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: Medved on January 31, 2022, 06:01:27 AM
Thank you for posting. I am thinking about doing this to my c34 as well. If you don't mind me asking how much did you end up investing? Also, did you consider high output generator and/or small portable generator. My use is also weekends, and not long term cruising. Most of the time I just day sail, so don't want to drop 10K for such a limited need.

Hmm, that's a terrible question!!!  :lol:

I'll try to give you a ballpark for big items (probably add another $300/$500 for a bunch of smaller items):

VICTRON MULTIPLUS 12/3000/120-50 - 120VAC/60Hz VE.BUS INVERTER CHARGER                          $1,057.00
2x Rich Solar 200 WATT 24 VOLT SOLAR PANELs + 10guage/30ft Cables                                     $520.00
2x Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 Charge Controller                                                              $314.50
Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger, Isolated (Bluetooth)      $263.50
Victron Energy Lynx Distributor                                                                                             $206.55
Victron Energy VE.Bus Smart Dongle (Bluetooth)                                                                        $78.20
Sterling Power 12V Alternator Protection Device                                                                        $75.00
Victron Energy Interface MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB)                                                                        $68.85

TOTAL:          $2,583.60

Admiral_Swellson

Oops, forgot to include the 300 amp LiFePo4 battery was $1200.00 (they've gone down $100 I think since then...)

But I needed new batteries eventually anyhow and given lithium lasts upwards of 10 years, they're a wash.

Medved

Thank you :) This gives me an idea. I think I will go with a portable generator for now and see if that solves it for me.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI think I will go with a portable generator for now and see if that solves it for me.

That's what works for me.  I believe the DC system is dependent on how you use your boat ie. slip with shore power, mooring, constant cruising.  Shamrock sits in a slip with shore power except when cruising.  The OEM style batteries are good for 2 or 3 days before they need charged.  Then it's a transit slip or run the generator.  I like my Honda 2000, runs AC, water heater and battery charger.  Just not at the same time. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Admiral_Swellson

I suspect the generator route is best for most peoples usage. We also needed to be able to spend a few weeks on anchor in the Bahamas, island hoping. We've also been able to add some conveniences like a microwave and an induction stove. It's certainly at a price (and effort) point that most would opt for the simplicity and effortlessness of the noisy generator.

Jon W

Medved, Robert has a very nice system that may be more than you're looking for to cover weekends. Like Jim said, it depends on how you use your boat. What is your amp usage per day at anchor, and what do you have for batteries?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Medved

Quote from: Jon W on January 31, 2022, 11:24:05 AM
Medved, Robert has a very nice system that may be more than you're looking for to cover weekends. Like Jim said, it depends on how you use your boat. What is your amp usage per day at anchor, and what do you have for batteries?

I have standard lead acid batteries. I like to use auto helm while sailing, and then anchor light, make some coffee or tea (without using my stove), cabin lights, etc. which solar setup or high output alternator would cover. The big one is an AC, which is 16500BTU 30amp start up and then 10-12amp draw from there. I cruise Chesapeake Bay and it gets hot and humid here quick. So far I was coming back to my marina to get plugged in to the shore power, but looking for a way to start staying on the hook. Found this new honda gen that should give me what I am looking for. I am not looking to run AC all night, just few hours to cool the boat down. https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2022-01-18/honda-to-begin-sales-of-eu32i-all-new-portable-generator-kyjii0ve

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI am not looking to run AC all night, just few hours tocool the boat down.

That's what I do when necessary.  The noise isn't too bad it's the CO hazard that would worry me if it ran all night.  As I noted my Honda 2000 runs my AC just fine.  The new model is 2200 so should work with power to spare.  Don't know if it's any bigger, the 2000 is a close fit in my cockpit locker. Search here, there's been a lot of good discussion pro and con on using a portable generator. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: Medved on January 31, 2022, 11:46:09 AM
I have standard lead acid batteries. I like to use auto helm while sailing, and then anchor light, make some coffee or tea (without using my stove), cabin lights, etc. which solar setup or high output alternator would cover. The big one is an AC, which is 16500BTU 30amp start up and then 10-12amp draw from there. I cruise Chesapeake Bay and it gets hot and humid here quick. So far I was coming back to my marina to get plugged in to the shore power, but looking for a way to start staying on the hook. Found this new honda gen that should give me what I am looking for. I am not looking to run AC all night, just few hours to cool the boat down. https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2022-01-18/honda-to-begin-sales-of-eu32i-all-new-portable-generator-kyjii0ve

One thing I've been surprised about here in Florida is that we don't find that we need AC while on the hook. Actually, my boat has no AC at all. But when we anchor away from land there's almost always a breeze and no mosquitoes. So our top hatches are open and between the breeze and the fans we're perfectly comfortable. Marinas unfortunately are usually buggy and usually protected from wind, for obvious reasons, so very hot and require the shore powered AC.

Jon W

Medved, If a small generator solves your issue, that's great. If you are considering adding solar panels in the future, there are more affordable options depending on your need.

By knowing my typical daily energy use, and the charging period I sail in I installed a solar panel system consisting of 2 Renogy 175W 19.5V 8.98A flexible monocrystalline solar panels, 2 Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 charge controllers, a Victron Energy 10 meter Smart Battery Sense Temp/Voltage sensor, stranded cable with MC4 connectors, and all the fittings, boxes, switches, fuses, etc.. The cost was ~$1,200.

On a November trip I dropped the anchor early on a Tuesday morning and raised the anchor on Friday around noon. Weather was mixed overcast, partial sun, and sunny over the 4 days. The solar panels kept my batteries fully charged for the whole time with no assist from the engine/alternator.

There is a downside to not having to run the diesel to top off the batteries. Cold showers by day three.  :shock:

FWIW – I have LED navigation, anchor, and interior lighting, a CPT Autopilot, electric windlass, but no AC. I have a small portable inverter to charge my laptop. Batteries consist of a house bank with 4 T105's, and a reserve that's a Group 24 charged via a digital echo charger. I use ~60A a day, with the fridge consuming the majority. I read that a good guide for the charging period I plan to sail in is 5.5 hours per day.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Schulcb

Robert,

You could be my twin!

I just installed a Chins 300 Ah Lithium battery after my 2 flooded lead-acid batteries died.  I opted for the Victron Orion DC to DC charger as well.  I'm curious about your system, do you ever see the full 30 Amps from the Orion when running your engine at speed?  I typically only see 25 Amps max.

I installed a Victron Muliplus 2000 horizontally under the nav station and left the OEM Charles battery charger under the galley dedicated to the aux battery.

I have 3, 100 Watt flexible solar panels zippered onto my bimini and a single Victron Solar charge controller.

Now that I have the Lithium and the Multiplus, I "installed" a portable 2 burner induction cooktop over my OEM stove.  In the winter, making 2 meals and a pot of coffee, plus running the hydronic heat all night (we live in the PNW), it's time to head back to the marina for a little shore power.  I am very curious how well my 300 watts of solar will offset the induction cooktop in the summer with full sun and no electrical demand for heat.  I've been thinking about how to install additional solar on my dodger, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to route the cables.

Cheers,
Craig
Craig S.
s/v 2nd Chapter
Hull #1675, 2004 mk2, M35bc, Tall Rig
Vancouver, BC