1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

rmjohns

Agreed.

In December, I was debating how much winterizing I needed to do. It's always a question in North Carolina.  We had a great sail the week between Christmas and New Years, and I'm glad I re-winterized the motor as January has been pretty cold.

So, I've been bringing back some of the interior wood trim that has varnish issues and refinishing them. The trim under the ports have had enough water on them over the years that the varnish is discolored. I'm also working on making the shelf over the sink into more of a cabinet.  I see some of the new boats are using veneers over foam boards in their cabinetry to reduce weight. Thought I might experiment with that.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

ewengstrom

Agreed....to a point!!!! :D
I sooooo enjoy sailing....but winter is a time of renewal....I'm I'm not much good at renewing stuff when I'm sailing. I sorta like winter in that I dive head first (sometimes literally) into boat projects without feeling that I'm missing out on any good sailing...which I am not.
Currently I'm busy refinishing some interior wood and the cockpit table. I wrapped the whole wheel with tarred seine twine with a turks head knot to indicate that the rudder is centered.
I'm also finally getting around to separating that HUGE compartment under the aft cabin into more usable space.
I've got the new compartment walls cut glassed and glued in place and I'll tab them in when the weather gives us a bit of a break from the bitter cold. Tonight I'm going down to do a CAD pattern (Cardboard Aided Design) for a new removable storage compartment under the larger center opening in that area. (that idea came from this site I do believe)

So it all depends on your perspective....winter sucks....sorta.  :thumb:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

I use winter as my refit time.  Our climate allows for year round in water storage so sailing IS a possibility.  That said, it is cold enough to require a LOT of gear (dress for snow skiing).  I am currently upgrading the autopilot and electronics as well as a lot of other wiring projects.  I will need to be done in a few months though as that's when the itch to get off the dock needs to be scrached!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

WTunnessen

I'm impressed that this guy skis from his boat in northern Norway in February. So, I guess its just a matter of perspective! (Or something!)

https://youtu.be/bbnrz8_UeRY
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Jon W

I did something similar a few years ago. Spare parts in the larger center opening, tool storage in the smaller opening, and filter storage under the head sink. Well worth the effort.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: WTunnessen on January 25, 2022, 10:53:38 AM
I'm impressed that this guy skis from his boat in northern Norway in February. So, I guess its just a matter of perspective! (Or something!)

https://youtu.be/bbnrz8_UeRY

YIKES.
I don't consider anything "skiing" unless there's a lift involved. :shock: :shock: Anything else is "HIKING" (and not the HobiCat variety.)
Beautiful scenery though, even the snow-sailing. 8)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Dang... those aft cabin storage trays are the bomb dot com!!!  I will be seriously considering something like that!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Don, you're the guy I got that most excellent idea from. I don't plan to make it a permanent mount with removable ends, I will section it like yours but the whole drawer will be removable so that the area is completely accessible. I installed a starting battery tray next to the water lift muffler and it extends slightly into the area I'd use for the drawer by perhaps 1.5" to 2"...but that isn't much loss of space considering what I'm gaining.
I REALLY like that fuel filter, belt storage assembly you created under the head sink........I hadn't noticed that until recently but decided I do like it and I'm not too proud to copy your idea yet again...... :thumb:
See....winter CAN be fun on your boat!!!!!  :clap
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

Winter is a great time to work on your Hot Buttered Rum recipe.   :D
Look at this for starters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp_TTFIVVN8
FWIW if you don't like the drink, the batter is great on toast.
Cheers,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

Mine can be removed when full access is needed. It's held in place with 8 SST screws. There's also a cleat on the underside of the locker that rests against the forward mounting feet. The cleat helps with installing it, and is a safety feature if the screws fail so the locker won't slide into the shaft.

The hinged end pieces are for regular maintenance access to the strut bolts, shaft log, packing gland, etc so the whole locker doesn't have to be emptied and removed.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

Eric,

I thought spring was the time of renewal.

Winter does suck because I have to remember to bring a coat in case it gets chilly.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

ewengstrom

Kevin,
Sorry dude.....When it's spring it's time to sail!!!!!!
I don't sail when it's cold, I work on it with thoughts of sailing dancing around in my head. I enjoy those winter projects because I can do some of them in my shop...which is warm!!!
I went down to the boat the other night to do some measuring on deck, it was in the low 30's and the wind was blowing out of the north in the mid teens., I almost bailed out but decided to just get the measurements I needed and by the time I was finished I couldn't feel my fingertips or my toes......THAT sucked......but I can now go to work on the cover plates for my chain plates....in my shop!!!  :thumb:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

mainesail

It looks like a perfect weekend to head up to the mountain to me..

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

glennd3

The prediction in Baltimore is 1 to 70 inches!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland