Garhauer Genoa Leads

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Pounds

I just bought a set of the Garhauer adjustable genoa lead cars.  They're really slick, by the way.  Anyway, I went to put them on yesterday.  The tracks on my '87 are recessed.  Unforunately the the space at the aft end of the tracks is not big enough to slip the cars on.  It looks like I'll have to unbolt the tracks to get them on.  Anyone got any other ideas?

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike Smith

Ron & Ted -

I'm about to bite the bullet and install the moveable genoa car system on Breezer. Which set did you purchase? It looks like there is just one cleated control line coming off the system.  I am assuming that under tension it is used to pull the car forward, and when eased the force of the genoa sheet moves the car aft.  If not, then could you provide a brief scenario on how it is used to move the car forward and back? (BTW I already have the midship cleats installed all the way forward.)

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on October 03, 2003 at 07:43 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on October 03, 2003 at 07:55 AM.]

dave davis

Mike, after looking at your hull # you should make sure you tell them that you have a curved track. It use to make a difference but maybe they have fixed the problem by now. Talk to Guido.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

rirvine

I agree with Dave - talk to Guido.  Cars are available in a number of forms - more than shown on their web site. I would suggest the lowest profile available - E-Z G-2UB with the block shown in E-Z G-3 is the combination they recommended to me.

I have a set to install but first have to move my track forward about 18" (or get a longer track) to allow the car to come forward enough for my 130% sail - yes, the sail does like the car that far forward.

Ted Pounds

Mike,

I got the EZ G-2UB cars ($275).  They work on the curved track though a bit of dry lube helps them make it around the curve.   You're right the line pulls the car forward and tension on the sheet moves it aft.  In addition I added some bungee cord to help pull it back.  To get the bungee cord to work over the full range you attach one end at the front of the track to the double block of the adujuster. Then lead the bungee back through a small block (not included) at the aft end of the track and then up to the aft end of the car where there's an eye strap to attach the bungee.  By the way, after you slide the cars on using Ron's method you have to take the wedges out before you can slide the track the rest of the way forward and re-attach the part you pulled up.  Also if you lose a few balls you can put them back in by holding the car upright and carefully in inserting them from underneath. ;)

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

jentine

I have a 1992 with a recessed track.
Jim Kane

Mike Smith

Ted -

I have about 6" or so of space between the aft end of the track and the aft end of the recessed genoa track channel.  There is no space at the foreward end of the track, where I have my midship cleat installed.  Is this the same situation you described, or do you think I have enough room to install the car without lifting the aft end of the track?

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

AFT END RECESSED TRACK

Mike,

I've noted over the years that some of the reccesed tracks have triangular shaped "stoppers" at the end of them and some don't.  

When I installed my midships cleats years ago, I had to remove that triangle stop and then I think I remember that I was able to slide the cleat car on.  I would think that if you don't have the stop, you should be able to slide it right on, unless, of course, it's longer than the space available.  In retrospect, I should have left the stoppers off, although I would have had to file the sharp track edges round.  I haven't had a fairlead block loosen enough to slide all the way back on the track, but it could happen, so the stopper does seem to have a purpose.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Stu -

I have the stoppers on the outboard geona tracks, but not on the inboard ones.  I think I will install them when I get the adjustable genoa car system, unless the aft line control component of the system functions to stop the car as well.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Ted Pounds

Mike

You're in the same boat I was (pun intended).  There's not enough space and you'll have to remove the last three bolts and raise the back of the track.  If you bought the optional cam cleats they will act as the stopper on the aft end of the tracks.  I have another set of blocks fixed at the aft end of my tracks that keep the lead the same to the winches.  I bought Harken cam cleats  for the control lines and mounted them on the outside of the cockpit coaming just aft of the winches.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447