Magnesium sacrificial anodes

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

I have a 1" zinc anode on the prop shaft and a "J" prop zinc that probably would protect for another season. I have zinc spares for both, but found magnesium replacements for both at prices too low to walk away from. The weight difference is substantial (1#11.5oz vs. 7 oz) and that can only be good for vibration reduction as well. We'll only sail in fresh water so magnesium seems to make the most sense. Does anyone have a two blade "J" prop (15.5" dia.) on their 34? My pitch had been set at position 7 which equals 8.6" and had vibration issues above 2200 rpm. I'm wondering if the pitch setting is incorrect causing cavitation?
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Jim Hardesty

Can't answer about the pitch or vibration.  Only to say first thing I'd check the cutlass bearing.  My experience with magnesium anodes are here.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10771.msg84066.html#msg84066

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Possibly a shaft whip?  Check to see if the shaft is true (and don't put the anode in the middle of the span.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain