Hydronic diesel boiler install

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I needed to install a deck plate for access to the boiler expansion tank fill cap.  This has to be the highest part in the system.  The cockpit coaming was the only logical place due to where I mounted the webasto.  I didn't want a plastic fitting and found a sea dog brand polished stainless smooth face fitting.  In an effort to make it look factory, I used a router template to relieve the surface to allow it to sit flush. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

The coaming had a slight concave shape to the surface and thus this was as flush as I could get it.  The eagle eyed will note the router jumped the template and got a bit of the gel coat on the outboard side.  Fortunately it isn't that noticable afyer it has been filled with sealant.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

A quick test fit of the expansion tank showing the alignment and access to the fill cap.  Due to clearance challenges with the instrument gauges, I could not get the expansion tank any more centered, but the size of the deck plate allows for enough room to effortlessly remove the cap.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Very cool, Alex, nice work.  Coat the threads with TefGel or Lanocote.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

Thanks Stu... I put tef gel on the deck plug.  It seemed to help keep it sliding smoothly.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Got the aft laz bulkhead painted and all the boiler parts mounted to it and installed.  In the picture of the bulkhead in the cockpit, you can just see the expansion tank behind and up high.

This was the first item that got FINAL installed as part of the furnace install.  It is pretty exciting to get to this spot.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Got the exhaust final installed today with the thermal blanket.  It has aluminum standoffs mouted to the coaming and bulkhead to keep it in place.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Got the engine heat exchanger and H2O tank bypass/throttle valve installed.  It JUST fit in the space above and behind the engine.  This allows me to get waste heat from the engine to heat the glycol circuit in the hydronic circuit.  It maintains the ability to make hot water when motoring.  The throttling valve allows most of the glycol circuit to bypass the smaller 5/8 diameter H2O tank circuit.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Next thing I got to working on was the aft heater matrix.  This has two outlets.  One for the aft cabin and the other for the head.  It is SQUEEZED between the head liner and the fuel tank.  I had to epoxy a cleat to the head liner and then build a platform to bridge between the tank shelf and my new cleat.  I added a duct boot on the intake side which will allow me to pick up air from the main salon area. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

The next piece going in is the diesel pump "box".  As some may know the diesel pump for these heaters can be a bit annoying if not installed in a fashion to isolate the structure born transfer of noise.  This box was supplied to me by Sure Marine in seattle and is VERY impressive.  The pump is mounted on a VERY soft rubber clamp.  Then the fuel lines are routed in such a fashion to allow the pump to wiggle without transfering the clicks.  Additionally, this box has rubber isolation feet to mount it to the bulkhead.  I am SUPER curious to see what sound still transfers after it is in action.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Nice attention to detail Alex! It's coming together nicely 👍
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Thanks Antoni.  It is nice to be getting things installed that WONT come back out.  The boat is starting to get a bit roomier as the boxes get removed :-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

I had some holes in the head aft bulkhead from was was likely a past battery charger.  In order to make use of those rather than drill new holes, I built some brackets to mount the fuel pump box to and then mounted those to the bulkhead using the "spare" holes.  I then tapped the fuel tank and installed the dip tube, shut off and fuel filter for the furnace.  The pump box was then plumbed to the furnace with solid copper pipe.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Next up was to mount the sure wire board.  This is the control box that allows the system to control multiple zones including the hot water tank (as a zone) and allows for running the system off engine waste heat.  Running all this wire is quite complex.  I only have a single t-stat and the water tank as a zone and the engine waste heat option.  Despite that, the system wiring is RATHER complex!  The main salon has a high low fan switch and the aft cabin and v-berth each have a high, low, off switch.  The T-stat surns them on when a demand for heat arises and the switches in each cabin allow for some control based on user preference.  The 2nd photo shows the aft cabin fan switch.  The v-berth fan switch is mounted on the wall above the hanging locker.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

The last two heater matrices needed platforms.  One went under the nav station hamging locker and the other went under the "dead space" in the stbd fwd setee storage spot.  They were both rather complicated to build, but turned out great!

The sticks shown at the fwd platform are there to hold it in possition while the thickened epoxy srts up.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte