need idea for a Fix 2. forestay

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

Hello together,

I need a solution for attaching a 2nd forestay (removable) to the deck, so how can I statically attach an eye that absorbs the forces of the stage.

(the Stay ist for a small cruising/heavy weather Jib, not furler)

Has anyone done this or have an idea how-what-where?

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Noah

Take a look at this video starting at 14:49.

https://youtu.be/1k8S7C3i34U

It may give you ideas as to structure below deck to consider. As he discussed, I would be worried about the deck lifting up—even with a smaller sail—if it is not sufficiently tried into to hull/keel structure.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Admiral_Swellson

Holger Dieske

... thanks Robert, thanks Noah (Erik Aandra has been my hero for a long time)!

The general problem is clear to me, but my hope is that someone here has already done this with a C34. Here in Europe/Mediterranean there are almost no C34 where I could steal a little with my eyes. In the vicinity and under the anchor locker, the C34 is also different from many production boats that I know here. And that's exactly where I have to somehow introduce the power of the second forestay through an eye in the hull.

Well maybe someone is still reading here who has already done or seen it on a C34.

Holger

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

LogoFreak

Hi Holger,

I am doing it on mine, it is going to be part of my new bowsprit/bow cap. The load will be transferred to the forestry stem backplate. I will post pictures of it on my thread named "custom bowsprit". It's a work in progress and might take a little bit more time to complete but check it out.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Holger Dieske

Diversion

Check out Tech Notes: February 1989 Vol 7 #1 
Good luck!  Jeff
1989 #943 TRWK

Ron Hill

Hogler : In the Mainsheet Tech notes of Nov 1997 I published an Article from Jim Heffernan C34 #389.  He installed a second head stay so he could change from a Sloop rig to a Cutter rig.

You can read his detailed write up with pictures and you see what he did to install and anchor that 2nd head stay.  I'll guess that you'll need something like that for a "storm jib head stay"  :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

Hogler, At least one Catalina 36 has an inner forestay:  https://www.catalina36.org/forum/general-discussion/staysail-inner-forestay.

If you install one, let us know how you do it.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Holger Dieske

... OK thanks. I collect ideas and thoughts first in this time.

Holger