Anyone install a Raritan Sea Era or Raritan Marine Elegance Toilet

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexatola

Hello All - I have a 1986 C-34 and I'm wondering if anyone else with a Mk1 has installed the Raritan Sea Era toilet?  Curious about physical fit and challenges?

Thanks!

Alex
Sea Glass #126
1986 MK1 Std Rig
Kingston, WA

Kyle Ewing

I installed a Sea Era electric toilet in my 1990 Catalina 34 in 2011 and have been happy with it.  No issues in 10 years.
Marine size bowl fit with no modifications except for new mount holes.  The only clog in 10 years was from a wet wipe, and it was easy to remove.  In fact, I need to do some research to determine if I'm missing preventative maintenance or carry spares.

I wrote about the install in my blog at http://www.saildonnybrook.com/2014/05/how-i-improved-comfort-on-donnybrook.html

Let me know what questions you have.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

crieders

kyle, i notice your wiring runs to the left
in my old installation, more than 25 years, the wiring runs to the right and is hooked into a switch for the macerator overboard pump which we do not use
i was thinking of the Sea Era as a replacement and I was wondering on your wiring.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Noah

I just purchased a Raritan Marine Elegance toilet (standard height, angled back, sea/fresh-water flush). Should be here next week. I will post info on any issues I may run into with the install.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Noah can you post some pictures when you do the install?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Kyle Ewing

Cliff, I got power for the head from the shower sump wiring via three-way connectors.

Kyle

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

crieders

i had checked out the Elegance and I did not think it would fit given the footprint but hopefully I am incorrect!

Noah

Cliff- Hopefully, you are incorrect! Will see. There are some Forum members who have installed them successfully. Susan Ray in Hawaii, is one. This is hers:
Standard Rig

glennd3

Having any luck with the new head install?

Quote from: Noah on January 17, 2022, 10:13:16 AM
I just purchased a Raritan Marine Elegance toilet (standard height, angled back, sea/fresh-water flush). Should be here next week. I will post info on any issues I may run into with the install.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

It still hasn't arrived!!! Supposedly it will ship next week. As with everything/everyone, their reply was "sorry, supply chain issues".
Standard Rig

Noah

Yippie, I finally finished with my head rehab. Installed a Raritan Marine Elegance (Sea and Freshwater flush) electric toilet. And a floor grate. I followed a couple of others here on Forum. However, it was NOT as easy a project as I had thought it was going be. It took me about a month of BS-ing around to finally achieve victory. It Just had a lot of "moving parts". Plumbing, electrical, woodworking, all in tight spaces.  First, I had to build a laminated/stacked mahogany pedestal for it, so it could sit further outboard. Then lots of wiring and rerunning hoses, cutting holes for switches, mounting flush controller brain box....My existing 15in. X 15in. louvered door behind the head also had to be modified/shortened so it swings over the new taller toilet. I am happy with the outcome!
Standard Rig

Phil Spicer

Noah, very nice work. Looks like we would see at the boat show. Impressive!
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

glennd3

Noah very nice work as usual! I want to replace mine because the bowl is too small, there had been a discussion about feeling like you are sitting on a bucket. Although it is still better than the "chopper" I had on my Catalina 25. Noah are you sailing much in SD this time of year?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

crieders

Great pics on the Marine Elegance
Was fiberglass cut out on the left side back to make it fit?
What was the wood template for
Any pics of the QC unit instead? Thanks all very much

Noah

Cliff-No cut-out in glass. The purpose of the 3-1/2in. wood block was to be able to push the toilet outboard so that it didn't over hang the existing fiberglass pedestal. The wood block was "sculpted", tapered along the back to match the angle of the fiberglass hull liner—while keeping the top level/square/plumb. The only thing limiting how far outboard to position it is making sure that the toilet seat can swing open past 90 degrees. It work fine!
Standard Rig