Cooling System Hose type question

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

Just removed and cleaned the Heat Exchanger, ready to reinstall. Thinking it may make sense to also install all new hoses. The current hoses are all very stiff wire reinforced hoses. I am not sure whether I need to replace with new wire reinforced hoses or just use the none wire reinforced water/exhaust hoses.  Your opinions will be appreciated. :clap
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stu Jackson

I used all wire reinforced, ever since I bought my boat in 1998.  Why wouldn't you?  It's stronger in an area that could use it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Benrd : Look in the old Mainsheet Tech notes and you'll find my article on "Replacing the Exhaust  Hose" w/pictures. 

I found a couple of serious rub indentions on my old hose.  I'd recommend using the wire reinforced hose again.  Good luck

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: karista on January 09, 2022, 09:50:30 AM

replace with new wire reinforced hoses or just use the none wire reinforced water/exhaust hoses. 

You MUST use a WR hose on any suction line.  It would be helpful if you posted your engine in the profile.  The coolant suction hose is the one that runs forward from the Hx to the engine coolant pump.

On the seawater pump to Hx hose it doesn't need to be WR.   

See here for coolant and seawater flow directions:
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/9626

That said, why NOT use all WR hoses?  They are less likely to kink.

The only time I wouldn't use a WR in every situation on a boat, is if I needed to make a very very sharp bend where there would be kink and then I'd use a corrugated hose. 
Oh yeah, and replacing a scupper hose if the orientation was that it is near impossible (on the C30 anyway) to get the short hose flexed to fit onto both hose barb fittings at the same time.  Then a non-WR would be a huge help in installation and maintaining less-bloody (not blood-free) knuckles and PG language.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain