Updating our bilge pump.

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

Spending some quality, albeit cold time on our boat and exploring her systems. Here is a  2nd check valve found a little further down the discharge line. By the time the water passed through the pump,two check valves, and their fittings the pumps 1700 gph potential was probably closer to 500 gph! I have new hose and would love to hear tips or tricks for the daunting task of running new hose.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Admiral_Swellson

I replaced my electric bilge pump hose and it wasn't very difficult. There aren't any places that you can't reach to guide it. Lots of tie-wraps to cut and replace.

robbjd

Robert, do you recall the length of the hose? I have 30 feet.
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

KWKloeber

I had replaced both my Rule bilge pump and manual bilge pump hoses with Shields 141 PVC Flex Hose (meant for bilge and live wells.)  It's a semi-clear (smoke-gray) smooth-bore, helical hose that seemed very nice to work with.  This year I had to move the manual hose at the bilge end and it's hard as a rock -- in fact to move it out of the way it broke off in my hand.   I tried flexing it a foot farther aft and the same thing - broke off.

Has anyone used that hose nd noticed that issue???  Yeah, its 10 yrs old but still......
I'm wondering if there is a better choice???
My manual hose didn't have a strainer on it and I'd just leave it lay in the bilge - in the past I could flex it 90 deg so the end was flat against the bilge to suck out the last 1/4".  It was quite pliable - like a 90 bend in the distance of 12"-15"  NO way now. 

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: robbjd on January 20, 2022, 11:47:05 AM
Robert, do you recall the length of the hose? I have 30 feet.

I don't but it only had to run about half the length of the boat so I probably got 20ft and had some left over.  I used the leftover to create a chaff guard on my most active (windward) dock lines.

robbjd

Thanks Robert. Hopefully you're enjoying some warm weather! Cold here on the Great Lakes! I'll tackle the hose job when it warms up a bit and the hose is more pliable.
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

waughoo

Quote from: KWKloeber on January 20, 2022, 12:31:13 PMThis year I had to move the manual hose at the bilge end and it's hard as a rock -- in fact to move it out of the way it broke off in my hand.   I tried flexing it a foot farther aft and the same thing - broke off.

Keenly interested to hear someone's response to this.  The existing white corigated hose in my bilge pump lines is brittle like Ken explains and I was going to replace it with the exact product he mentions, but am now quite leary!! 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Hi Ken, I used 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" smooth bore Trident #147 Bilge and Live Well hose for my electric bilge pumps about 5 years ago. Hoses are still good. I did not change the manual bilge hose.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Holger Dieske

Jon: just a question: why do you have 2 pumps? double safety?

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Jon W

Yes. Small price to pay for increased capability that I hope to never need. Primary 1500 gph pump and its level switch are mounted to the bottom of the bilge. Secondary 3700 gph and its level switch are mounted ~ 5" above the bottom of the bilge. Any higher and the top of motor wouldn't fit below the floorboard.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

I'm curious why you didnt mount the secondary bilge pump also at the bottom and just raise the float switch.  I have been considering a similar setup for my boat as well.  Did you have a reason to set it up that way?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Alex,

The small pump is just a scavenger pump to handle day to day needs, the big pump is an emergency pump mounted high designed to kick in and handle whatever gets past the primary. Also I wouldn't want to raise the float switch I'd want to keep it as low as possible so it would start the pump ASAP.

Jon,

That's a great setup, I wish I would have thought of it. Question, do both pumps operate off of the same float switch or does the big pump operate separately when the water level gets higher.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

There are definitely two float switches in there.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Alex, the secondary pump is mounted higher in the bilge for the reason Kevin described. Additionally the 1 1/2" discharge hose is pretty stiff for that tight area.

Kevin, each pump has its own level switch, breaker, and thru hull. The breakers are located on the main distribution panel.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

Jon,

Very well thought out. Let's hope you'll never know how well it works!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273