Updating our bilge pump.

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : Years ago when I replaced my bilge pump hose I let the old hose lay in the bottom of the bilge and ran the other end of it to - under the head sink. 

I have an adapter attached, so that in a real bilge pump needed emergency I can connect it to the raw water engine Hose and have the engine pump water from the bilge!!  You could also just run a piece of 5/8" hose from the bilge to the area under the head sink!!  Just another back up idea!!   :thumb:

A thought !!
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: waughoo on January 20, 2022, 03:26:01 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on January 20, 2022, 12:31:13 PM
This year I had to move the manual hose at the bilge end and it's hard as a rock -- in fact to move it out of the way it broke off in my hand.   I tried flexing it a foot farther aft and the same thing - broke off.

Keenly interested to hear someone's response to this.  The existing white corrugated hose in my bilge pump lines is brittle like Ken explains and I was going to replace it with the exact product he mentions, but am now quite leary!!

Alex -- wondering what you decided to use for bilge hose?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Ken,

I used the Trident smooth wall live bait well hose.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Quote from: waughoo on July 03, 2023, 11:19:23 PM
Ken,

I used the Trident smooth wall live bait well hose.

#144 HD Vac or #147 XHD Vac ?  And how did it handle?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

waughoo

147 xhd was what I used.   I am very pleased with it.  Nice and stiff to hold its shape but flexible enough to bend as needed.  I used a bit of heat here and there for fittings and some beads to aid in installation.  Despite being rated for below the waterline connections, I switched to a spiral wire exhaust hose for the exit pipe to a fitting that was above the waterline.  Probably not necessary, but it made me feel better as the bilge exit hose mushroom is often underwater while motoring and sailing.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : Good choice going with the wire reinforced, because over time regular hose can partially collapse - especially is the warm climates.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: waughoo on July 04, 2023, 09:22:04 AM

I switched to a spiral wire exhaust hose for the exit pipe to a fitting that was above the waterline. 

Alex, not surprisingly I am confused.  You used XHD from the pump (to where?) then switched to wire-wound from (exit pipe??) to the thruhull?  Not quite following you there mate.

waughoo

My boat had a T fitting behind the engine panel that combined the electric pump and the manual pump output into one.  When I replumbed the bilge system, I replaced this T fitting with a wye.  The two bilge pumps use the XHD hose to this wye, and then I switched to the spiral hose from there to the hull exit mushroom on the transom.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Well duh! I should have gussed that.

I have a tee as well and may take your cue to switch that out - I'm about to re-hose at least one pump.

Thx for that tip.

Quote from: waughoo on July 06, 2023, 08:56:22 AM
My boat had a T fitting behind the engine panel that combined the electric pump and the manual pump output into one.  When I replumbed the bilge system, I replaced this T fitting with a wye.  The two bilge pumps use the XHD hose to this wye, and then I switched to the spiral hose from there to the hull exit mushroom on the transom.