Mounting a Raymarine Rudder Position Sensor (Raypilot Rudder Reference M81105)

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral_Swellson

Finally tackled this project on my MKII and I think this document might be helpful to motivate others to do the same. :clap

See link to PDF for a mostly pictures description of how I did it. I tried to upload PDF but it was a little larger than the 1024KB limit per file...  :shock:

https://robertgiroux.com/downloads/Mounting%20a%20Raymarine%20Rudder%20Position%20Sensor%20(C34%20MKII).pdf

Rortega46

The pdf is clear and well done.  The install process is simpler than I expected, especially with the angle drill you used. 

Assuming you have an Evolution wheel pilot, and after you use it a few times, please reply with what and how much improvement you find with autopilot tracking.  Does it greatly improve tracking in moderate seas while running downwind and on a broad reach? 
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Admiral_Swellson

Thanks, I will definitely report back on if, and how well, it improves the auto-pilot performance.

I have the Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack w/ P70s Control Head purchased 12/12/2020.

rmjohns

Great write up Robert.  I did this about 3 months ago and did remove the water tank for access, which I had previously removed when I replaced all my fresh water hoses. The pain there is I had to remove the steering pulleys to get the tank past them.

I also have the EVO 100 wheel pilot. I do notice it hunts a lot less than it use to. In the past it would occasionally get into an oscillation where it would over correct itself and by the time it realized it, it was overcompensated the other way. I haven't noticed that, but I've only had it out a few times with the rudder reference installed.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

waughoo

I am working on this right now.  I was able to get the water tank out with the pulleys in place.  I didn't look to see if you have a mk2 though.  Perhaps they are different.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Admiral_Swellson

My instructions, particularly the positioning of the sensor is specific to the MKII. But one takeaway I didn't emphasize but should have is that the Raymarine instructions only show one way to align the sensor axis with the rudder axis (in a U), but there is also the possibility to align it as I have Like this:

o
|_
    |
    o

Jim Hardesty

Quoteplease reply with what and how much improvement you find with autopilot tracking.  Does it greatly improve tracking in moderate seas while running downwind and on a broad reach?

I installed the EVO 100 wheel pilot and rudder position sensor a few seasons ago.  Works well 90%+ of the time.  As I mostly single hand it gets a lot of use.  When it doesn't want to track well, if it isn't too bad, I put up with the bad tracking for a while.  I believe the autopilot does some auto processing and sometimes will improve with time ie a few minutes. Sail trim is important.  About running downwind.  There was a time last season, had the asymmetrical spinnaker up for 4 hours and the autopilot worked great.  Wind was 10-15 true aft of beam with 2-3 foot sea.  Great sailing.

QuoteThe pain there is I had to remove the steering pulleys to get the tank past them.
Wasn't necessary on Shamrock a MKll.

Robert,
Excellent write up.  Wish I would have had the right angle drill when I did mine.  I pre-drilled a block then 5200 it in place.  Worked but not as precise.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

Quote from: Robert Giroux on January 03, 2022, 04:56:45 AM
My instructions, particularly the positioning of the sensor is specific to the MKII. But one takeaway I didn't emphasize but should have is that the Raymarine instructions only show one way to align the sensor axis with the rudder axis (in a U), but there is also the possibility to align it as I have Like this:

o
|_
    |
    o

I had initially considered this orientation as it would GREATLY simplify the installation.  However, I felt that it would not give linear results to rudder's position.  Thus, I am in the process of locating a place to adhere a mounting block to the underside of the cockpit in line with the rudder post to provide a more parallel installation of the sensor.  I figure if I'm going to bother to go this far, I want it to be installed as close to the way Raymarine set up the hardware/software interface to be.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: waughoo on January 03, 2022, 02:05:20 PM

I had initially considered this orientation as it would GREATLY simplify the installation.  However, I felt that it would not give linear results to rudder's position.  Thus, I am in the process of locating a place to adhere a mounting block to the underside of the cockpit in line with the rudder post to provide a more parallel installation of the sensor.  I figure if I'm going to bother to go this far, I want it to be installed as close to the way Raymarine set up the hardware/software interface to be.

Alex, you should reconsider this option. It is absolutely equivalent to what Raymarine advises. The geometry is the same. All that matters is the the arms are parallel and the connector is at 90 degrees to both arms. After I did mine, I went looking for confirmation of this and found in on Mainsail's website. I was actually pretty stoked to see he even used the same plastic for mounting to the radial wheel. https://marinehowto.com/installing-an-autopilot-rudder-position-sensor/

Kyle Ewing

Wish I had a right angle drill when I installed mine!  I've had the EV-100 with rudder sensor for two seasons and it''s much better than the Autohelm 4000 it replaced. 

Here's a video (https://youtu.be/jfJoUUpDANs) of me sailing as far down wind as I could to give you an idea of my experience.  Winds in this video were down from 20 knots earlier.  With early reefing it's able to hold the boat on course while doing close to hull speed on a reach/broad reach.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

britinusa

Looks good, the differences between the Mk1 and MkII stand out. Not sure if we could remove our Water tank without surgery.

Had the opportunity to actually use our EV-100 Wheel pilot upgrade this past weekend. The responsiveness compared to the old Raymarine Wheel pilot is amazing and I believe that it's the Rudder Position Sensor that made a big difference.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

Quote from: britinusa on January 05, 2022, 07:18:13 AM
Looks good, the differences between the Mk1 and MkII stand out. Not sure if we could remove our Water tank without surgery.

Paul

Paul— the MK1 water tank comes out WITHOUT surgery. My procedure is:
1. Drain tank
2. Remove fiberglass cover over idler wheels
3. Remove fuel tank bulkhead and aft bulkhead
4. Disconnect fill, vent, and discharge hoses
5. Pull slack forward out of engine throttle and kill cables (worst case scenario is you MAY have to disconnect from engine—mine have slack.
6. Lift tank above fiberglass tray lip. Takes a bit of fiddling.
7. Angle Starboard side forward and Portside aft, and slide tank out to starboard
You may get a little water spillage out the bottom, as it is hard to drain 100% i alway bung up the holes with tapered wood plugs so I don't get much water.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

eisjeff

Thanks Robert. I bought the rudder sensor 3 years ago but couldn't for the life of me see how to mount it. Now I have your PDF and I'll get at it as soon as the cover comes off.

Admiral_Swellson

Just following up on this post as I have finally managed to get out sailing. I have to say the rudder reference has definitively solved the problem I was having with the wheel pilot. The air was fairly light this past weekend, not exceeding 15 knots upwind and on returning was around 10 knots at 120o.  The pilot never lost it's way, where it would have previously pendulum-ed to an ever increasing zigzag course, it stayed true. Very happy!

waughoo

Excellent news!  I still havent sailed my install yet as there are other projects afoot.  I am excited to try it out!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte