Mounting a Raymarine Rudder Position Sensor (Raypilot Rudder Reference M81105)

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Robert.
I see you used starboard as an adapter plate.  But do you feel it's strong enough?  There's a lot of force with that autopilot system.  Just curious.
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

Roc— I believe he used Starboard for the rudder sensor attachment, which is electronic, and and has little to no forces involved to move it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Admiral_Swellson

That's correct Noah, the sensor is basically a potentiometer and while spring-loaded doesn't off much stress on the attached arm and ball joint screwed to the starboard. 

Frasse Pelle

Hi All, Just finished the installation of my new autopilot on our Mk 1.5 and adding the rudder sensor was the challenging aspect. Thanks to all the postings on that subject that guided me through this project. Like Robert, I wanted to avoid removing the water tank. To get the sensor position at the ideal 5.5inch position, I had to install a small interpose plate glued with thick epoxy. Getting this leveled was challenging and I use a Car jack sitting on top of the water tank to glue it up. All good with dock calibration completed. Sea trial this weekend.

Francois Pelletier, San Diego, CA
S/V Whitecaps
Mk 1.5 Hull #1292
S/V Whitecaps - Hull #1292 - 1995

Admiral_Swellson

waughoo

Looks very similar to how I set mine up.  Glad to see more folks completing this step on a wheel pilot. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte