Replacement marelon valve handle

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

My boat arrived to me with the macerator holding tank thruhull valve handle removed.  It appears to be a square stock (see photos).  Does anyone have a source for one of these as a replacement?  The valve holds water just fine and the boat is in the water so my preference would be to avoid replacement.  Thanks for your help.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Explain -  "macerator holding tank"?
Is it the discharge for the macerator (likely) or a direct discharge from the holding tank?

'er, call me crazy but why not call Forespar directly?

Have you looked "everywhere"?
I'll bet a bottle of Stu's best liquor that a P.O. removed the handle to (not exactly) comply with no-discharge zone and leave only the deck discharge, and it's hidden somewhere on the boat or in spare parts?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'll bet a bottle of Stu's best liquor that a P.O. removed the handle to (not exactly) comply with no-discharge zone and leave only the deck discharge, and it's hidden somewhere on the boat or in spare parts?

Think that Ken is right.  Common practice on the Great Lakes.  It's probably in the boat somewhere.  A good project with a new to you boat is collecting and identifying all the spares and bits and pieces.  Double check that they are the correct spares.   Think it would be easy to find and buy a replacement.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

I had the same suspicions with finding it aboard but have not had any luck.  I have had the boat emptied enough now to know it isnt aboard.  I had thought about calling forespar but hadnt gotten that far yet.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Alex- have your read this thread in critical Upgrades? It MAY have some impact on your choices.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2729.0.html

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

That is a different type of valve than what I have and thus the handle is removeable without causing a gusher.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

An update... I got in contact with Forespar and provided them the photos and they are sending me out a replacement handle.  I am pretty happy with that level of service!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

WhooHoo!!!
Pretty cool of those folks. Very classy.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Those were my thoughts exactly!!  I would have been happy to purchase.  I was even considering buying a new valve to swap the handle and keep the valve body as a spare.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on December 17, 2021, 09:20:11 PM
An update... I got in contact with Forespar and provided them the photos and they are sending me out a replacement handle.  I am pretty happy with that level of service!!
Sweet!

Only "pretty happy?"   :shock:

I'd be over-the-top on this one.   :clap :clap :clap

Good for you, and thx for the update.

A true Merry Christmas.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I've said it many times "talk to the contractor - the horses mouth".  I've talked to their "Customer Service" and learned other things that they just happened to mention.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788