Galley Floor material?

Previous topic - Next topic

billandalita

Can anyone tell me the type of flooring material in the galley area of a MKII?  I think it is a (grey) vinyl material.  Mine was water damaged (flooded) and the edges adjoining the wooden sole have lifted up a bit. Can they be glued down?  Or is it easy enough to buy new vinyl material and install it? Thanks, Bill Small

Phil Spicer

Bill, Is your flooring is the gray vinyl with raised circles about the size of a quarter? If so, I found 18" squares at Lowes. You should be able to find an adhesive there too. another thought is to call Catalina for flooring if it need to be replaced or just to find out what to use for an adhesive.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Bill : That vinyl material is called "Loincoin".  I used it to cover my teak/holly sole that was delaminating (in the center!!). 
I'd try gluing yours and see how that works before buying some new loincoin!!  Try some "contact " cement.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmjohns

Bill,
That material is glued to a piece of plywood which is then screwed to the fiberglass floorpan. If yours got too wet you might have issues with that plywood. On my '98 I was able to unscrew the perimeter screws and lift the plywood and grey vinyl out for inspection. 

The fiberglass floorpan is solid with a few drain holes. I'm sure the plywood is marine grade, but if much water got under it, that plywood would be sitting in water for a while. 

Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

billandalita

Folks, I appreciate all the comments and information.  Amazing how much knowledge is out there.  Tomorrow I will remove the flooring and go from there.  Will let you know what I find.  Thanks, Bill