2 questions Alternator upgrade and wire harness upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

rwilkinsii

I have orderd the alt brkt upgrade and am wondering if i am wasting my money if i get a new alternator. I am not sure what the best thing to do.

The second thing is why would i need a new wire harness and where would i get it and how much am i looking at.

The 2 questions i have are they important and need to be done ASAP?

Thanks for all the help

side note I did do a search  
 :D

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Stu Jackson

Rich

1.  Altrnator bracket kit - the reference is to Projects:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-alt-bracket.html

After reading that, what part of MANDATORY don't you get?  It happened to me, and I sure don't want it to happen to you or anyone else.  I cared so much about a friend who had an Ericson 32 with the M25, that I did the installation for him myself for free.  PLEASE do it now before you get caught out.  If you don't replace it, it'll most likely happen (KABOOM!) at the worst time in the worst place.  I was VERY lucky.

2.  New alternator:  your choice depending on how you use your boat.  If you stay at docks, or marinas, and have a good charger and good batteries, you have less dependency on alternator charging.  If you hang out on the hook and liike to get away, you need a better alternator charging system.  Your boat, your choice.  The new bracket has nothing to do with the individual alternator you may have, it only supports whatever's there.

3.  You need a new wiring harness because the boat can start itself and burn up!  Is that a good enough reason?  The URL for the wiring harness reference is in another post response from this week.  You should be able to find it.

Thanks for searching and still asking, way to go.  The reason "we" keep harping on these things is that they are SAFETY issues, not just choices.

Good luck, if you need anything else, let us know.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rwilkinsii

Stu: Thanks for the response.. I orderd the brkt yesterday adn picking them up wednesday and just got off the phone with seardproducts and orderd my harness. As for the Alternator i do sty on the hook one night a week when I'm able to but i do have 4 batteries all group 27 due to rec by surveyor.

I have found this site to be very helpful and am very greatful for all the help and insight that is given on any topic.

Stu : check is in the mial :D

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

tsoko

Rich,
I found that changing the alternator regulator made more of a difference than changing the alternator.  The automotive regulator that comes standard tapers off too soon.  One of the newer "smart" or "multi-stage" regulators will make a world of difference, and are priced well below new alternators.  Just a thought.