Reef line size?

Previous topic - Next topic

suereal

I'm sure this has been discussed but I've not found the answer so any help would be appreciated. My boat, Seaclusion, hull number 364, standard mast, has the original jiffy reef slab setup. The owners manual says the reef lines should be 3/8ths line. That seems heavier than necessary. I was wondering what the general consensus is. Thanks for your input.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion
C34 #364, M25 XP #37 Oshkosh,WI
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read". Groucho Marx

glennd3

Dave I would use what the manual says to use. If I am reefing it is usually because the wind is high and would not want a lighter line that may break or not be the proper size for the hardware. For example a thinner line may slip on the cleat. JMO. Anyway hello Dave and welcome to the club.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

It also seems to me that with modern line technology would allow for a lighter line diameter.  Having less line weight hanging from the sail in light air seems like a good idea generally.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

You might also want to take into consideration the "hand/feel" of using a smaller diameter line. 3/8 works fine for me on my full batten sail..
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

I did the same as Noah and went with 3/8" for both reefs on a full baton Main!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

suereal

Thanks for the advice. It really helps.
Dave & Pamm Monier
San Carlos Son. MX
Seaclusion
C34 #364, M25 XP #37 Oshkosh,WI
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read". Groucho Marx