Accidental Drowning

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

We had a boat owner drown at my marina yesterday. I did not know him and do not have the details. I know it was windy here yesterday and the water temperature is cold. Although my boat is out for the season my thoughts are we should all know where the ladders that the marinas have put out for emergencies are located and we should set up our slips with some safety lines to use in case we fall in. The piers at my marina are long and maybe he was hurt when he went in and could not make the swim to safety. We all need to stay vigilant about safety, sometimes we forget we are all getting older. Sucks
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : You said it all AMEN!!
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

That's terrible.

Here's a thought that we all should follow on the off season boarding/disembarking or even being on the docks.  Wear a life jacket.  I'm in year round but on the off season the marina is deserted. I'm on a tee, so boarding is more difficult and involves a short step ladder and involves the sprit and bow rail. I was there once thinking, what the hell could happen if the step ladder gave way? (There's no ladders and in 40F water I don't know whether I'd make it swimming to the nearest shoreline (which would also be deserted if I was hurt or hypothermic in freezing weather.
After that I keep a life jacket in the auto so I have it even if unexpectedly at the boat. 
It's not macho but sure can save a life.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

It is good to take note of the boats nearby your slip that have walk-through transoms, if your boat does not. They may be an escape route out of the water someday.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

All : Noah has a great idea for the "winter in the water"!!!  Drop your boarding ladder - at least you'll know of somewhere to climb out if you happen to fall in!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788