Hose Clamps

Previous topic - Next topic

tmac

I've searched through the archives and haven't found an answer, so here goes... 
I know from reading past posts that some of you have gone through and replaced all your hose clamps with ABA or AWAB clamps.  Next spring I'd like to do the same for my engine, through hulls and pressure water system but I'm 4 hrs away from my boat, and it is all wrapped up and inaccessible for the winter, so I don't know what sizes I need.  I'd like to get them ordered this winter so I have them on hand for next spring. I'm hoping some of you kept records of how many of each size were required on your boat.  Yes, I know - it depends on whether anything on my boat has been modified or was configured differently.   I'm looking for just a rough answer - I'm OK with having spare inventory for emergencies or to help out a fellow boater.
My boat is a 1988 C34, original Universal M25XP engine, original through-hulls, Atwood water heater, factory installed pressurized potable water system.
Any help is appreciated.
Tom McCanna
Bayfield, WI , Apostle Islands 1988 std. rig C34, #818 M-25xp, wing keel
Lake Superior - No Sharks, No Salt

Catalina007

You can never have enough hose clamps in differnt sizes. 

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Catalina007 on November 16, 2021, 11:20:58 AM
You can never have enough hose clamps in differnt sizes.

Very true.

tmac, look at it this way:  instead of trying to find out "exactly" what you need, or "close enough" to it, to START make a list of each of the hoses.

Then, identify the sizes of each of the hoses.  The engine has 7/8" and 5/8" hoses.

Next, determine how many "ends" each hose has.  I'm not kidding here, I know every hose can only have two ends (!!!), but some are discontinuous and/or have breaks somewhere in the routing, making two hose clamps into four for each run.

Once you have that information, you can start to home in on clamp sizing, which is kinda the last thing to do.  Of course, we can tell you the ID of (most of) the (OEM) hoses.

I recall that when I did my plumbing replacement (because of a leak in one hose that ran underneath the engine bed back to the head sink), I also made sure to put two hose clamps on every connection because I didn't want to go back under the galley sink if I could ever avoid it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

I purchased clamps from this site and was very satisfied with them. I will be back at my boat tomorrow and will check the sizes for you, assuming I remember to do it. https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?cPath=309_31_345&products_id=1743
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

tmac

Stu
Your answer is partially what I was looking for - like "The engine has 7/8" and 5/8" hoses."   As I said, I'm 4 hrs away from the boat, and it is all wrapped under tarps, so I won't be in the boat again until April (hope, hope).
I have enough photos of the engine, through hulls, water heater, etc. that I can make a good guess at approximately how many clamps I need, and then buy extra to keep in inventory.  But I just can't tell what sizes are typical for those applications. 
I'm just trying to plan ahead, and make certain I have everything I need next spring.
Thanks for all the recommendations - I'm an experienced classic car restorer, so I've replaced plenty of engine hoses.  But I just purchased this boat in October and had to wrap it up immediately for winter, so I'm still getting familiar with its details.

Glenn - thanks for the link, and any info you can provide! 
Tom McCanna

Stu Jackson

Quote from: tmac on November 18, 2021, 03:15:55 PM
Stu
Your answer is partially what I was looking for...

...But I just can't tell what sizes are typical for those applications. ...

Then you're almost there, aren't you?

All the "plumbing" is 1/2".  I know this because I replaced it all a few years ago:  under the galley sink all the way to the head sink.

You can find the sizes on the galley sink outlets by searching for galley sink upgrades here in the forum and in the tech notes.

The head outlet is 1 1/2" or 1 3/4".  If you have a macerator, the pump outlet is 1/2" or 3/4".

Given what you already know, I don't see many that you can't figure out.

If there are a few you can't figure, let us know and if it ain't snowin' or pourin' I can go check for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Tmac :  I've double clamped all of the hoses that go on thru hulls. 

If there is a clamp that looks like it might "cut in to" the hose - I cut a small piece of thin leather and make a "buffer" strip to fit between the clamp and the hose.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

Quote from: tmac on November 18, 2021, 03:15:55 PM
Stu
Your answer is partially what I was looking for - like "The engine has 7/8" and 5/8" hoses."   As I said, I'm 4 hrs away from the boat, and it is all wrapped under tarps, so I won't be in the boat again until April (hope, hope).
I have enough photos of the engine, through hulls, water heater, etc. that I can make a good guess at approximately how many clamps I need, and then buy extra to keep in inventory.  But I just can't tell what sizes are typical for those applications. 
I'm just trying to plan ahead, and make certain I have everything I need next spring.
Thanks for all the recommendations - I'm an experienced classic car restorer, so I've replaced plenty of engine hoses.  But I just purchased this boat in October and had to wrap it up immediately for winter, so I'm still getting familiar with its details.

Glenn - thanks for the link, and any info you can provide!

Tom I have been down to the boat twice and have forgotten both times. I am a loser. I am planning on going down again Monday. A side note you may want to check to see if the hoses from the engine to the hot water heater have been replaced. PS I have restored TR6 twice in 40 years. Many of the things you will do on the boat are the same as restoring a car, I mean just go system by system. On a car the brakes first, on a boat the thru hulls.... Maybe on monday I can call you when I am at the boat and we can do it together, a thought.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

tmac

Thanks to all for the input.  I think I've got enough information now to where I can probably order the right quantity, including doubling up on anything related to through-hulls. 
For everyone's benefit, back when I was rebuilding an old Jaguar E-type, the original clamps were a good non-perforated type made by Cheney and/or Jubilee.  They can still be found, and are good clamps.
Tom McCanna

Noah

If you watch any British TV they refer to hose clamps as "Jubilee" clamps. :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig