Sail plans

Previous topic - Next topic

tmac

Is there a significant difference in the sail dimensions between the MKI and MKII C34s?  If someone offers me a used C34 genoa without saying whether it is from a MKI or MKII, does it make a difference?
Tom McCanna
Bayfield, WI , Apostle Islands 1988 std. rig C34, #818 M-25xp, wing keel
Lake Superior - No Sharks, No Salt

Stu Jackson

Tom, you can check the dimensions of both boats in the Manuals section of the tech wiki.

The main thing to be careful about in jibs is the luff length compared to your furler.  Some of us have deliberately purchased long link plates which raise the drum and limit luff length.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tmac

Thanks, Stu. 
Unfortunately I'm 4 hrs away from the boat, and its all tarped for the winter.  But I know you are correct - nothing replaces getting the actual measurement.  But from the photos I have of the boat, I don't see any long link plates.  I'll give a look in the wiki.  Thanks!
Tom McCanna

Stu Jackson

Quote from: tmac on November 08, 2021, 08:11:11 AM
Thanks, Stu. 
Unfortunately I'm 4 hrs away from the boat, and its all tarped for the winter.  But I know you are correct - nothing replaces getting the actual measurement.  But from the photos I have of the boat, I don't see any long link plates.  I'll give a look in the wiki.  Thanks!

Given that photo, it shouldn't be difficult to figure it out.  Compare the height of the top of your drum to the pulpit lower rail.  You should be able to scale the dimensions easily from the side view(s) of the boat in the manual.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Tom : From the photo of your anchor well area you have an early MK I C34 - 1986 or87 or88 year production boat!!

Always best to give your hull # and production year when making a post!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

tmac

Ron,
I have all my boat information in the header below my name.  Should I place it somewhere else?  If someone is using a different web platform, does that not appear to everyone?
Tom McCanna

Stu Jackson

Tom, I can see it, it's just fine, thanks.

Ekutney

My boat has the extension I think Stu mentioned.  Provides easy access to the anchor.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke