Critical Upgrade 2 - Do I need it? - Traveler Thru Bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_G

Hello community!

This is my second post/question; I just purchased a 1989 Catalina 34, hopefully I won't come out as being paranoid, but just want to have an accurate initial assessment of what I should focus my attention on regarding critical issues.

As a first step, I have checked out the critical upgrades posts and made an initial question regarding the engine harness. Regarding the alternator bracket, judging by the photos, I think Im good there.

However, regarding the "Traveler Bolts", mentioned as critical issue N1, its hard for me to recognize if the "through hull bolts" are in fact what I think they are (this is my first sailboat/boat purchase ever). Hence, I have attached in this post the photos of the interior as well as the exterior of my traveler; greatly appreciate any feedback comments on this matter. Thanks again and excited to be part of this community!!

Best,

Andy
Andy Godoy, 1989 C34 Wing Keel, #966232, Charleston SC

Stu Jackson

Andy, I modified your post's title to reflect your question, and to not appear by its title alone to be a duplicate of your first post.

Somewhere amid all the traveler thru bolt discussions was a post that identified the year Catalina started doing the thru bolts.  You mentioned your boat year, but not hull #.  Please provide a signature for yourself here on the forum with the info like so many others have done to help us to help you better.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Andy_G

Thanks Stu!

Just updated, let me know if that works. Thanks again :)

Best,

Andy

waughoo

If I am reading your photos correctly, the traveler is thru bolted already.  The acorn nuts above the galley inboard from the handrail bolts are the thru bolts for the traveler.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on November 04, 2021, 08:58:51 PM
If I am reading your photos correctly, the traveler is thru bolted already.  The acorn nuts above the galley inboard from the handrail bolts are the thru bolts for the traveler.

I don't know what that single acorn nut is, but it seems entirely too far forward for the traveler.  My thru bolt (that I installed) is almost lined up with the forward edge of the head teak bulkhead. 

Andy, please see what it is and let us know. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ewengstrom

Andy,
It definitely looks to me as if your boat has had that upgrade installed, that single acorn nut on the coach roof (starboard side) between the vent and the four acorn nuts for the rope clutches is the proof. Viewed from the outside of the boat you cannot tell since the long screw is one of the screws in the track....don't remember which screw though..... :cry4`

Depending on when it was last done I know it's a good idea to re-bed the traveler track periodically. Last year after a rainy day I came down to the boat and found evidence of a dried puddle of water on the galley floor that could only have come from the thru bolt...it never leaked before...not a drop. I tightened all the screws at that time and I didn't get the leak again. When I upgraded the traveler system itself last winter I pulled the whole track and re-bedded it in butyl and am quite sure it won't leak again. Definitely a good (and small) off season project.

Oh, and welcome to the group and keep us posted on your progress as you learn all about your "new" C34!!!! You absolutely picked a great boat and you're going to get to love it as you get to know it.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Andy_G

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! Greatly appreciated :)

Eric, will definitely keep the community posted with progress!

Best,

Andy

KWKloeber

Andy

In light of Stu's interpretation of the nut locations, why not take some measurements?
e.g., distance between the acorns and distance from the dorade or bulkhead or clutch bolts, and tie down/verify whether the acorns correspond to the locations of two traveler bolt heads.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain