Custom bowsprit

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

I've been working on this little project for several weeks, pretty happy with the design but still consulting with the fabricator I'm working with. Building the bowsprit for my new gennaker and possibly a code 0 down the road, I already have the Harken Reflex furler and the sail should be here in a couple of months. There's a few elements that aren't pictured in the design but I'll update once I get some more work done. I'll be using 316 stainless to the construction.

Feedback is welcome!
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

LogoFreak

There's provisions already for me to run a bob stay if I need it, I don't actually think I'll need on based on the design of the bowsprit itself. It only extends 20" past the bow of the boat and there's a ton of reinforcements in multiple directions. I installed a U-bolt about 4" above the waterline when I was on the hard last winter season in anticipation of this project so I can always run a dyneema bob stay.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

I would suggest you make a foam or wood template, to size, and fit it to the boat—to make sure you have a fair lead to your windlass, at the correct angle(s). Also make sure you have enough clearance aloft on between your spinnaker crane and genoa furler, so you don't have any issues with furling your gennaker with your top-down system. I had some issues to address with my Selden Gx furler (on a removable sprit/pole), interfering with my Profurl wrap-stop device.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Will there be any holes or openings in the horizontal surface besides the anchor roller?

How does this work with the stemhead fitting?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

I believe this replaces the stem fitting entirely, but not for certain. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Alex is correct, the original stemhead is replaced with the new bowsprit. You can kinda see it in the view from underneath, it is just not finished in the model, I need to measure the original on so that I can properly represent it in this model. The original stemhead had a crack in it, similar to the ones that are in pictures on Catalina direct's website.

Also at the forward end of the bowsprit there will be a single SS loop for attaching the tack line, my reflex furler was ordered with a 2:1 attachment for adjusting the tack height.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

glennd3

I just really read this thread. I did not understand what you were up to. Now I do and what a great idea! I did not know that they made a furler for a spinnaker. It seems like a great idea. If someone else has one already rigged with original bowsprit I would love to see some pictures. Logo you do very nice work, love following your threads. 
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Glenn- this is what I have and a few others on this Forum and C36 Forum. I have still a "kink or two" to work out before I can give an honest report. I have only flown it at the dock so far :?

https://youtu.be/WQ_3VU3RlEU
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I saw that but wasn't sure if it was welded to the bow sprit or it passed thru it. It's welded then?

No holes in the horizontal surface?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Catalina007

Quote from: LogoFreak on October 28, 2021, 09:50:52 PM
There's provisions already for me to run a bob stay if I need it, I don't actually think I'll need on based on the design of the bowsprit itself. It only extends 20" past the bow of the boat and there's a ton of reinforcements in multiple directions. I installed a U-bolt about 4" above the waterline when I was on the hard last winter season in anticipation of this project so I can always run a dyneema bob stay.

A Code Zero requires a very stiff luff with lots of tension and a very big load on the halyard/sprit.  It would be wise to have a bobstay 

LogoFreak

Quote from: glennd3 on October 30, 2021, 12:21:54 PM
I just really read this thread. I did not understand what you were up to. Now I do and what a great idea! I did not know that they made a furler for a spinnaker. It seems like a great idea. If someone else has one already rigged with original bowsprit I would love to see some pictures. Logo you do very nice work, love following your threads.

Thanks Glenn  :thumb:
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Quote from: Catalina007 on October 31, 2021, 06:06:12 AM
Quote from: LogoFreak on October 28, 2021, 09:50:52 PM

A Code Zero requires a very stiff luff with lots of tension and a very big load on the halyard/sprit.  It would be wise to have a bobstay

If and when I get a code 0 then everything is in place for me to run a bobstay.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179