Paint Lewmar Opening Port Trim Ring?

Previous topic - Next topic

WTunnessen

Has anyone tried painting the plastic trim rings on the Lewmar opening ports? Mine are circa 198? and while not cracked or damaged, are yellowing and getting brittle. Been wondering if painting them could help improve their looks and also provide some protection to the aging plastic. There are aftermarket plastic trim paints sold for automobiles which seem like they could work.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Noah

Having a set of those intact is like finding the Holy Grail. I would guess plastic trim paint would work. Try it on the back of one first?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

dfloeter

Yes.  I used a slightly off white Krylon last winter and it has held up well.  The trim pieces were ugly and yellow.  Not any longer. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

KWKloeber

@wt

It depends on the type plastic they are.  Auto trim plastic is meant to be color matched do it "paintable" plastics.  I've had some (a lot) personal experience (trying, failing, successfully)painting plastics. Without getting into the type of surfaces and polymer chains and other weeds, it's best to treat all plastics as they "cant" be painted so the surface structure has to be modified.

The "fusion" paints don't work well on many plastics. Believe me, I've used them and the paint just peels off in sheets. its very suitable for paintable plastic.

* The best way is to flash flame treat it (propane torch) to modify the polymer chains - I do that on nearly all plastics. ***
* Light sand 200 grit to introduce some "bite."
* Solvent wipe (further modifies the polymer chains)
* Prime with Rustoleum Plastic Primer (Lowe's, etc.)
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/plastic-primer-spray/
* Finish coat to your choice of product.

*** If you don't know the method I can explain further.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

i used the same paint(off white Krylon) as dfloeter and they have stood up extremely well.  I painted the trim at least 6 years ago.  Still looking good. No problems with peeling or flaking.
Paul
PS:  Noah, my set is still intact :D
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul

Do you or anyone know what material (type plastic) they are?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

WBev

Just a thought - I was going to try the painting thing, took them off and the Admiral liked the aluminum frames.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

waughoo

I have had mine off with just the silver ring for a long time.  I think I'd prefer the trim rings if they stayed in place and werent yellowed and cracked, but the silver ring look has grown on me.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

karista

I painted all of mine about 6 years ago. They still look like new. First cleaned them well, then used  Rust-Oleum ULTRA COVER Satin Ivory Silk spray paint made to bond to Plastic. This was an exact color match and still looks like new with no fading or peeling.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL