Cockpit Teak

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

Eric, 

Did you also remove the long teak pieces that secure the sea hatch?

Quote from: ewengstrom on November 17, 2021, 08:38:08 AM
I've been following this post with interest since I did this same work in July 2020. I feel it's a good time to weigh in because I was able to solve a problem I think several C34's suffer. After we purchased Ohana I noticed evidence of a leak on top of the aft port side of the engine compartment cover, right in the corner. I tried several ideas...but that area always seemed to get wet after it rained.
When I removed that piece of teak on the sill the problem became quite clear.....there was little to no sealant under the sill.....the sill is just flat enough that water can collect there and migrate down the unsealed edges and it would end up soaking the engine compartment cover and the surrounding areas.
My solution was to finish the underside of the teak, tape off the area completely and bed the sill in a healthy amount of black polyurethane caulk. I removed the excess caulk that squeezed out and continued on with refinishing the faces of the teak.
That area has been bone dry for well over a year now and I'm happy with the results.
Below are pics of the sill area when I'd removed the teak.....it was PACKED with dirt and debris which obviously didn't help the situation.
I've noticed other Catalina's (not just 34's) that put tarps or other specialized covers over the hatch areas and I wonder if it's to keep water out of the boat.....
This solution was actually pretty simple and I hope it helps others.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

ewengstrom

Yes, I've removed, stripped and refinished almost all of the exterior teak, the only pieces that didn't come off were the coaming compartment trim rings. They were sanded and refinished in place. Here's some shots taken as I removed everything and then the last ones were shot today.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

ewengstrom

Too many pics...or too large.  :abd:
These are from today.....boat winterized....Owner depressed.  :cry4`
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

mark_53

Looks nice!  Maybe a dodger is in the future?  Unless you want to do again soon.

Edit:  I see you had one an took it off.

glennd3

We had warm weather today, so I managed to put the teak trim on around the cockpit entrance. Glued the plugs but will wait for a while to sand and finish them as the weather is turning cold. I still have to do the hatch boards and the long pieces on top of the hatch. some more pictures.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland