Any idea what this might be?

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

I was going over some photos I recently took and noticed the frayed remains of a wire shackled to the rudder quadrant. Presumably it was installed by the PO rather than being an OEM item.

I've no idea what it is for. Maybe a broken rudder travel limiter???
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Noah

You may be correct on it being a rudder stop to limit travel on autopilot. However, the rudder stops on the MK 1 are a different set-up, so can't say for sure. It is also odd that it is connected to a "quick disconnect" pin. Almost looks as if someone had an autopilot ram connected to that spot in the quadrant/radial drive wheel there too??
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

If I'm looking at the right cable it's the rudder stop.  I made a shorter one when I added a rudder position sensor.  The other end should be attached to a u-bolt the nuts of which can be seen on the transom. 
I think a rudder stop in necessary to prevent damage to the RPS or worse.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KeelsonGraham

Thank you Jim and Noah.

Jim, you referred to 'the' rudder limiter. Does that mean is was standard equipment on the Mk II?

Jim Hardesty

Rudder stop, rudder travel limiter, I may not be correct but think they are the same.  Yes was built that way at least on Shamrock.   Yours may have been changed to have a different stop, can't imagine being without a rudder stop.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Noah

The rudder stops on the MKI are two fixed wooden beams glassed in under the cockpit floor. There is a 1/2 inch metal pin with rubber hose over it as a "bumper" that is attached to the radial drive wheel/quadrant. When the rudder is turned to its limit the pin/bumper hits the end of the wooden stop/beam. The only way to adjust it is to add more wood or rubber padding so that the pin hits the wooden stops sooner. I had to do this when I installed my below deck autopilot. I added some teak and rubber to the wood beam to make it hit it stop sooner—to limit rudder to 35 degrees swing side-to-side. It would have been easier if it was like the MKll boats and could be adjustable with a cable and turnbuckle/eyebolt..
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on October 21, 2021, 12:08:06 PM
can't imagine being without a rudder stop.
Jim

Looks like I'm without one at the moment.  :?
Can't imagine the force it must have taken to break it.

KeelsonGraham

And in other news from LA Lady's stern, looks like I'm outta luck for installing a below decks autopilot. I haven't measured it yet but it looks like there's not enough clear rudder tube for an Edson tiller arm.

waughoo

It looks like there is room below the radial drive. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAnd in other news from LA Lady's stern, looks like I'm outta luck for installing a below decks autopilot. I haven't measured it yet but it looks like there's not enough clear rudder tube for an Edson tiller arm.

Do some searching, in the back of my alleged mind remember someone installing a below deck autopilot on a MKll.  To get the room he modified the aft water tank.  Looked like a great install. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Admiral_Swellson

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThis is what it all looks like when it's correctly installed:

Yes,  Except Shamrock doesn't have the rubber shock absorber.  Never did.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on October 22, 2021, 02:53:20 AM

Do some searching, in the back of my alleged mind remember someone installing a below deck autopilot on a MKll.  To get the room he modified the aft water tank.  Looked like a great install. 
Jim

Hi Jim, yes that was another Graham from the UK. We've been in touch. However, the issue is the amount of exposed rudder post I have. I need 1 and 5/8ths for an Edson tiller arm. At first sight It doesn't look like I have enough.

KeelsonGraham

Thanks Robert, that's a very useful pic. I love the idea of putting in a shock absorber. Oh, and reding the Cat Direct page, it sounds like I might just have one floating around at the bottom of the lazarette!

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on October 22, 2021, 10:18:51 AM
Thanks Robert, that's a very useful pic. I love the idea of putting in a shock absorber. Oh, and reding the Cat Direct page, it sounds like I might just have one floating around at the bottom of the lazarette!

How did it ever get to the bottom?!?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."