3D model

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Would anyone be interested in having a 3D model of a Catalina 34 mk1.5? I'm getting a quote for having a company scan my boat for purposes of designing things in CAD. The cost is not prohibitive (depending on point of view). Once I have an exact quote I will update, but wanted to know if there are a few people interested in splitting the cost.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

KeelsonGraham

Hey Logo,

I'm not sure that scanning would end up giving you a useful model because this usually only produces surfaces. Most of these can't easily be separated into their constituent parts. So, for example you wouldn't be able to select and hide each cabinet.

It would be better to build the model from scratch using a set of very accurate measurements. This would not be cheap.

2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

LogoFreak

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on October 19, 2021, 05:54:15 AM
Hey Logo,

I'm not sure that scanning would end up giving you a useful model because this usually only produces surfaces. Most of these can't easily be separated into their constituent parts. So, for example you wouldn't be able to select and hide each cabinet.

It would be better to build the model from scratch using a set of very accurate measurements. This would not be cheap.

I'm not planning to scan the interior at all, I see little to no use for it. My main focus is on the exterior. That is where most of us from time to time have ideas on adding or modifying things. Having an accurate 3D model that you can measure angles and dimensions would simplify and save a lot of time.

It is also very useful for creating whatever it is you want on a computer and easily being able to visualize it is a big help, often I go thru the trouble of making mock-ups but once in the boat I don't like how it looks.

I would haul out my boat and have a local company that specializes in 3D scanning scan the entire hull and deck. Dodger would be removed as well, so that the deck could be captured.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Wurlitzer1614

I've considered laser scanning the rudder in order to make molds for a replacement, but outside of that, I'm not sure what I'd find useful. What specific areas are you most interested in capturing?
Trevor - 1988 - #815 - WK - M25XP - West Michigan

LogoFreak

For one I intend to build a custom hard dodger, something that would be nice to design on a computer first. Bowsprit, possibly a solar arch. I see the value in it. I'm not trying to convince anyone here, only offering the opportunity to have a 3D scan of a Catalina 34 to do whatever you want with it.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179