Something leaking from top of engine

Previous topic - Next topic

senorquill

Hello all,

What could be causing this yellow sort of glue like material to come out of the back side of the forward most fuel injector? I'm not sure exactly where it is come out, but photos help to explain. The engine is running fine. There was also some tiny piles of what looked like water bubbles.

Universal M25XP (1700 hrs)- 1987 C34

Ryan
MQ

senorquill

MQ

mark_53

Looks like blue thread lock to me.  Are you color blind or an I not seeing yellow?

Noah

Blue thread lock will not STAY blue when old. It looks like saltwater corrosion mixed with debris/oil??? —but I am not a mechanic. Do you see liquid emerging around there when engine is really clean and running?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Ryan : I'd cleanup that area and keep an eye on it!!  It may just be the old dirt from 1987!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 15, 2021, 03:00:22 PM
Ryan : I'd cleanup that area and keep an eye on it!!  It may just be the old dirt from 1987!?!

A good possibility that had also occurred to me and that those very helpful photographs can't begin to help us "know".
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Admiral_Swellson

senorquill

Gents,

I cleaned it all up and discovered a crack on the plate behind the thermostat (pics attached). After running the engine up and getting hit hot, I was able to notice coolant coming out of the back side of that plate. So the goopy material was coolant that was basically leaking and than heating up and turning into basically a Vaseline type material. Anyways, I going to tighten up the 2 bolts in the pics to see if that slows the leak, a leak confirmed since I. loss coolant every time I motor around for an hour or so.

I'm going to order a new replacement part due to the crack. Any body replace this? Looks like I got to take a lot off the front of the engine to do it. Any info would help.

V/R,

MQ
MQ

Ron Hill

Guys : It is absolutely amazing how much easier it is to find leaks etc. on a CLEAN engine!!!

A thought    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

What plate behind the thermostat? 
The picture pointing to the thermostat housing isn't helpful as it doesn't show what plate you're referring to.
Can you post a better picture?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

senorquill

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 04, 2021, 08:38:27 PM
What plate behind the thermostat? 
The picture pointing to the thermostat housing isn't helpful as it doesn't show what plate you're referring to.
Can you post a better picture?

The par with the crack on the plate, which the thermostat housing is screwed into, is part number 13 on the Water Flange Group (Flange Water-300233).

It looks like I have to remove the entire Water Pump Group casing to replace it, the last picture with the red line going around it.

Has any replace the Flange Water before? What am I getting into?

MQ
MQ

senorquill

The large part that has to come off first is the Gear Case Assembly #2 on this picture.
MQ

KWKloeber

PS: Messicks.com is a decent place to order parts online.  Many of the Kubota manuals I posted came from those folks.

Ahhhh, ok NOW I see. The bottom picture didn't open when looking at the post on my phone.
Check the service (Technical) Manual on the Wiki - it might discuss something about disassembling the gear cover.

The wiki will also have the Kubota part numbers for the Water Flange and the Gear Case gaskets, o-rings.  I would replace the oil relief valve and TStat while you have it off.

I wonder what caused the crack. Maybe the alternator bracket?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

senorquill

When you put the new gaskets back is their any type of grease or sealant that goes on them, or do you leave them as is? Thanks,

MQ
MQ

KWKloeber

It's not necessary but if it makes for an easier install Kubota suggests a non hardening gasket sealer, one side only, and apply the gasket. I don't recall the Permatex part number number for that type but it's been called out on here before if you do a search.