Wooden Sole Refinishing

Previous topic - Next topic

sselinger

Looked at past posts and did not find many discussions on various materials to use to finish the floor boards. I've used varnish in the past and was not happy with the results. I am thinking of using home wooden floor polyurethane. Has anyone tried this at what were their results?
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Stu Jackson

I used Minwax Polyurethane with great results, has lasted over a decade.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I am getting ready to do this job which will include a full replacement of the floor panels.  My plan is for clear epoxy coat for sealing the plywood and then a conversion varnish residential hardwood floor finish (2 to 3 coats) for UV and wear layer.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

I've used Minwax Polyurethane on two different boats for over 16 years. I did three coats to start with and every few years depending on wear I'll freshen it up with a new coat, just sand it with 220 and apply a new coat. 
My first boat had 3/4" thick teak and holly floors so they were not removable, for the Catalina I did seal both sides for moisture protection, so far we're at two years and going strong on our 34.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Steve : I also used Min Wax polyurethane. Beside refinishing the top side, You need to seal the underside and especially the cut edges.

As mentioned, a light sanding with 220 grit for the top and then at least 2 coats - you'll be good to go for years!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI am getting ready to do this job which will include a full replacement of the floor panels.

Somewhere in the back of my alleged mind think I remember a company that sold them precut.  Has anyone gone that route? 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

WTunnessen

Also used Minwax Polyurethane for Floors leftover from a home project and still looks good 10+ years later.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Gary Brockman

HL in Carson CA. made the original floor boards for Catalina, but unfortunately they went out of business around ten years ago
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Hi,

I also remade our cabin floor.
Sanding must be done very carefully, cause the holly finish is extremely thin.

I used home type hardwood varnish.  Use the oil based one.  Not the water based.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHL in Carson CA. made the original floor boards for Catalina, but unfortunately they went out of business around ten years ago

Gary, Thanks for the information.  Saved me from chasing a dead trail.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

glennd3

west system clear epoxy.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Jim : I've said it many times - take the measurements for YOUR C34 because no two C34s are "exactly" alike!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788