loose footed or foot in boom track for new main sail?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

For our new main sail made by Quantum sails I have an option of a "Loose foot with additional loose round" or traditional with foot in the boom track.  They say that most of the sails they're making now are loose foot.  What are your thoughts?  1990 reg rig.  Thanks, Kerk  And thanks for the thoughts on full or partial battens--I'm going with full.  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

KWKloeber

Defo loose foot.
I presume by additional they mean install a shelf?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Agree on loose footed and full battens. I have a Tides Strong Track that helps with sail hoisting and dropping. For full battens you will need add the appropriate "pocket" slides/slugs whatever system you use.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Kerk, if you go loose foot, make danged sure your outhaul works properly.  It is much more ne4cessary and useful than on a traditional foot.  I know, my outhaul's been frozen for decades...:D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Ha! I have a 10:1 outhaul and it works. Stu—get with the program! :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Another vote for loose foot.  It is the preferred set up these days.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

WTunnessen

I've been very happy with the loose foot and definitely have better sail control/trim than my previous traditional main. Not to mention that its a lot easier to rig and I can see the sail shape much better. Also less chaffing and staining.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD