Sentry Battery Charger Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I was on Breezer yesterday afternoon and noticed that my Sentry battery charger was repeatedly cycling on and off about once every second or so. My Smartswitch voltage indicator was reading full charge. I have a continuous DC load on - the fridge. The troubleshooting section of the manual doesn't cover this condition.  Before I call my mechanic ($$$), does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

rwilkinsii

If i'm not mistaken; that is the OEM charger and if it is I had to replace mine when i bought the boat a month ago; it was overcharing my batteries which caused me to buy new ones and a new charger.

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Stu Jackson

Mike

If you're looking for battery charger info, try this link:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=517601911&r=137601911#137601911

There are lots of hits on "charger" on the MB

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

The Sentry charger was installed by the PO in 1992 and has worked fine until now.  Time to call in the expert$, I guess.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Mike Smith

I called my mechanic Friday and described the problem I was having with my Sentry battery charger repeatedly cycling on and off.  He immediately said to just turn the charger off, discharge the battery bank to 50% over the weekend, then turn the charger back on.  Worked like a charm. Problem solved.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

Mike

Glad to hear that it worked out.  Sounds like someone who'd earlier wrote in about an inoperative tachometer.  Hanging a DC load on it made it work.  Never occurred to me that this would be the same for your charger.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."