Removing engine cabinet on MkII

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

Hi all,

I have some work coming up on my C34MkII that will be a lot easier if I can remove the forward engine cabinet. I've managed to remove the aft berth cabinet many times for easy access to HX and transmission. However, every time I've tried to remove the forward cabinet, it was blocked in by the corner molding/aft berth door jamb on the starboard side and/or the port side corner molding along the head. Removing that glued-in molding looks like it could cause severe damage, especially if it breaks on the way out.

Have any of you figured out a better way to get the forward engine cabinet out? I believe that this is specific to the MkII boat models, since I've heard of it coming out more easily on the earlier boats.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Roc

I think you're asking about taking the panel that is behind the companionway steps.  I've taken that out, but it takes a little angling of the panel to get it out.  Take out the screws on both sides.  To get it out, you need to push one side in while pulling the other side out.  Basically angling it to clear what is stopping you from taking it straight out.
Hope this explains how to remove it.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Schulcb

Hi Roc,

I've just removed mine to get access to the oil pressure switch.

There is the hinged lid, then a piece that runs fore and aft on the starboard side and another that runs fore / aft on the port side.  I removed the screws holding the SB piece from inside the aft cabin, with these removed, I was able to lift the plywood forming the forward end of the engine compartment to about waist height where there is enough clearance to push the SB side of the plywood aft enough to allow it to clear the corner mouldings.

Good luck,
Craig
Craig S.
s/v 2nd Chapter
Hull #1675, 2004 mk2, M35bc, Tall Rig
Vancouver, BC

Ron Hill

Breaking : Not too sure, but I'll guess that Catalina made the same engine enclosures for the MK I & MK II.

I have to lift off the steps; then lift off the horizontal top cover; then lift straight up the bottom 2 steps until they clear the side teak strips then turn them side ways to fully remove them.  To help simplify the entire process some of us have hinged the horizontal piece and just lift it up so a spring holds the tilted cover in the 60 degree position in place.   

*note that some of the 1986 C34s only have 3 rather than 4 steps!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788