Installing Raymarine wind instruments

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Brockman

I have had Tacktick instruments on Squall for about eight years and have been very happy with the information they provide, particularly true wind speed and true wind angle to the boat. My only complaint has been that on two occasions the wind data became intermittent and sometimes not at all. Raymarine said that although my tall rig was around the effective limit for the wireless masthead unit, the problem was likely in the sender. Each time I sent the masthead unit to Raymarine for repair, which was free the first time and $150 the second time. There have been no problems for the last four years.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Medved on October 06, 2021, 12:16:19 PM
Hi all, I have reached out to local vendor to install Raymarine i60 Wind Pack, with Short Arm Vane Transducer on my 1988 C34. Vendor asked for 2K to do the install. Does this sound reasonable? asking as a newbie

Hi Medved. I've just installed a new Raymarine wind instrument. My riggers charged me about $200 to fit the masthead unit. I did the rest myself even though I'm new to boat ownership.

Running the wiring involves a bit of boat yoga and some patience mousing the cable up through the Edson guard rail. You'll need a large hole saw and powerful mains powered drill to make the hole for the instrument. None of it is difficult. $2k bucks seems way over the top.

MaineSail has written a good piece about how to drill holes in NavPods. I followed his advice exactly and it worked out just fine.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

WTunnessen

Jim- Thanks for your thoughts on the wireless. Unfortunately, I've noticed the problem when both the windex and wireless sender are pointing in the same direction. It's also pretty clear that something is up when I'm close hauled and it's telling me the wind is on a beam reach.  What I need to do is contact Raymarine and get the sender serviced!
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Medved

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on October 14, 2021, 02:16:11 AM
Quote from: Medved on October 06, 2021, 12:16:19 PM
Hi all, I have reached out to local vendor to install Raymarine i60 Wind Pack, with Short Arm Vane Transducer on my 1988 C34. Vendor asked for 2K to do the install. Does this sound reasonable? asking as a newbie

Hi Medved. I've just installed a new Raymarine wind instrument. My riggers charged me about $200 to fit the masthead unit. I did the rest myself even though I'm new to boat ownership.

Running the wiring involves a bit of boat yoga and some patience mousing the cable up through the Edson guard rail. You'll need a large hole saw and powerful mains powered drill to make the hole for the instrument. None of it is difficult. $2k bucks seems way over the top.

MaineSail has written a good piece about how to drill holes in NavPods. I followed his advice exactly and it worked out just fine.

I had rigger install the wind vane transducer and run the cable through the mast last week for few hundred based on suggestions here, so I don't know how that other vendor got to 2K. I am now trying to figure out how to run the cable to the instruments. Any further details or pictures from your install would be greatly appreciated.

KeelsonGraham

[/quote]

I had rigger install the wind vane transducer and run the cable through the mast last week for few hundred based on suggestions here, so I don't know how that other vendor got to 2K. I am now trying to figure out how to run the cable to the instruments. Any further details or pictures from your install would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

For SeatalkNG you need a special adapter called an ITC-5 (essentially an analog to digital converter). This has bayonet connectors to allow you to connect the 4 or so wires running from the wind vane. The ITC-5 also has plug-in sockets so that you can then connect it to the backbone. I'm guessing that there is an equivalent type of unit for Seatalk?
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.