Installing Raymarine wind instruments

Previous topic - Next topic

Medved

Hi all, I have reached out to local vendor to install Raymarine i60 Wind Pack, with Short Arm Vane Transducer on my 1988 C34. Vendor asked for 2K to do the install. Does this sound reasonable? asking as a newbie

Noah

Sorry but not enough info for me to evaluate. Deck step or keel step? Mast up or down? Replacing old instrument in same location? Wire run already? If new wire, will it be in conduit in the mast or loose? Lots of variables... also please put your year, hull number, engine type info in your signature. It will help us answer other questions going forward.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Med : Look in the old Mainsheet Tech notes and you find an article about installing a wind instrument on top of a keel stepped mast while the mast is up!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

Medved--Last summer I replaced my Datamarine instruments with an i70s wind/depth/speed pack.  It took me a couple of weekends (10-20 hours?) to remove old and install new, including running new wiring.  A rigger charged $200 to install the wind instrument only, mast up (I connected it).  I didn't have an existing wind instrument so he used the VHF coax to bring a messenger line up through the mast conduit and pull the wind cable down.  It took him and a helper an hour or less for the job.  He said it went as smoothly as it could.  My 1990 has a keel stepped mast.

I agree with Noah that there are a lot of variables to the cost, including hourly rate and bid type (hourly estimate or fixed bid).
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

LogoFreak

You can also go with the wireless wind instrument instead, no wires to run. I've had mine for many years and love it. $2000 in labour sounds a bit excessive to me to be honest, unless that included stepping down the mast and dealing with the rigging.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Medved

Quote from: Kyle Ewing on October 06, 2021, 03:49:56 PM
Medved--Last summer I replaced my Datamarine instruments with an i70s wind/depth/speed pack.  It took me a couple of weekends (10-20 hours?) to remove old and install new, including running new wiring.  A rigger charged $200 to install the wind instrument only, mast up (I connected it).  I didn't have an existing wind instrument so he used the VHF coax to bring a messenger line up through the mast conduit and pull the wind cable down.  It took him and a helper an hour or less for the job.  He said it went as smoothly as it could.  My 1990 has a keel stepped mast.

I agree with Noah that there are a lot of variables to the cost, including hourly rate and bid type (hourly estimate or fixed bid).

My apologies for not providing all the info up front, but it is a tall rig with a keel step and no previous wind instrument and the mast is up/boat in the water. What this vendor described to me, is exactly what Kyle did using VHF cable to bring a messenger. I reached out to a rigger to see what they would charge to do this.

ewengstrom

Logo, I've heard mixed reviews about the wireless units, but yours is a good endorsement. Might I inquire as to who's instruments you currently have installed? I've got a relatively new B&G GPS and this thing is just great to work with. Since I don't have any wind instrument currently installed I'd given thought to the B&G wireless unit.
Just interested in who's unit your using sir.
Thanks!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Med : I Like I said : look at my article!!!
I did it with myself with someone that went up the mast.  Took us about 1-2 hrs to get the wind instrument mounted as we were doing it and inventing the "how to" at the same time.  Look at the article - it might save you a few boat bucks!??!   :shock:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Med : That wind instrument installation is still working 30+ years later!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Medved

@Ron I tried to search for it, but could not find it. Can you post a link?

LogoFreak

Quote from: ewengstrom on October 08, 2021, 11:52:01 AM
Logo, I've heard mixed reviews about the wireless units, but yours is a good endorsement. Might I inquire as to who's instruments you currently have installed? I've got a relatively new B&G GPS and this thing is just great to work with. Since I don't have any wind instrument currently installed I'd given thought to the B&G wireless unit.
Just interested in who's unit your using sir.
Thanks!!!!

Hey Eric, my entire electronics package is from Raymarine. I find their customer service and tech support great and they stand behind their product. My wind instrument is their micro talk package that links what would be the tactic line with my stng network (nmea 2000). It's the T120 masthead trasnducer, a T113 handheld display and the micro talk gateway that plugs into the STng network.

I really didn't want to have one more cable going up the mast as the conduit is only a 1" pvc tube, I had the mast down so it wasn't because running the wire would be a pita.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Med : That was the August 1995 Vol 13 #3

Never thought of using the radio wire as a tracer (then pulling a new radio wire and the wind wire together) because my radio wire came out the side, but that might be a thought - rather than coming out the top like I did. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

My VHF comes out of the side as well. The black wire ties were sticking up left there on purpose to discourage birds. So far (six year later) seems to still work. I also installed a second PVC conduit in the mast that only goes up to the spreaders. It carries my radar wiring and spreader lights.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

WTunnessen

RE:  Wireless - About ten years ago I installed the Raymarine wireless wind & depth-speed package because it was a cost and time effective upgrade. Also liked avoiding running wires.  My experience with the wind instrument has been mixed. Sometimes it works great and other times the wind direction is off about 10-30 degrees. While it can be re-calibrated at the instrument easily, its still annoying and I ALWAYS check the ole wind vane for accuracy. Never had an issue with the solar cell. Depth and speed work fine. Mine is not networked with an autopilot or GPS. Been meaning to call/write customer service to see if there something else that can be done about the wind direction since I can't find much on the web about the issue. Haven't got around to it since mostly I watch the sail tell-tales. 8)
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSometimes it works great and other times the wind direction is off about 10-30 degrees.

WT,  Before you blame the wireless feature, consider other factors.  Sometimes, especially when the wind aft and the main is way out or the spinnaker is up, my wired raymarine often reads off.  I look at the mast head and the windex, aft on mast, is pointing one way, the wind vane is pointing another, forward on mast.  I think it's due to the short arm.  Raymarine does have a higher and longer wind instrument arm mostly used on racers.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA