How do these Keel Bolts look?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gint

Hi Everyone! I'm looking at buying a 1987 C34. I was told to make sure that the keel bolts where in good shape or I should walk away. Could you please give me your opinion on the condition of these as well as maintenance process or replacement? Thanks.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sVzuyDFFDhL3krfT9
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

Noah

Don't know if you can tell too much from just looking at the keel bolts. Unless they are very rusted, which your photos don't indicate that they are—i wouldn't worry about them. The small amount of rust on the washers is probably due to being partially covered in gelcoat and not having the ability to fully breathe. Attached is a comment/tip on this subject from an earlier post regarding "oxygen starvation" and rust in the bilge.

" ... with a small chisel and hammer you can get rid of the rusting around the keel bolt washers. Knocking off the excess gelcoat that covers the washers will stop the rusting which occurs (I understand) when the washers are damp but starved of oxygen by the coating of gelcoat. Since I knocked off the gelcoat and sanded off the bits of rust, the washers have remained rust free. It would be nice if the construction crew are a little less free with the gelcoat but it is easy to fix.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Use the search function on our website and you will find more info on the subject.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Gint : remove a couple of the nuts and see what the bolts underneath looks like!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

@Gint

They look "perfect" compared to many I've seen on a few 80s vintage boats, but a good condition above the bilge isn't   necessarily indicative of below that.  But a terrible condition above likely indicates a poor overall condition.

If you need peace of mind see if the owner will remove one or two.
If you do it's your baby if something goes awry or to get them retorqued. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Gint

Ok great! Thanks so much for the feedback 😄
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California