Questions about the Catalina 34 Electrical System Upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

No screws into hull. All wood set to hull by thickened epoxy. The "rails" are removable, attached with bolts and wing nuts to base, to capture battery box in place, but once removed, it allows battery box to slide out to starboard. No top is needed due to low "headroom" there. Sealed lead acid battery is charged by Echo charger and has lived there unattended for 6+ years. Still performing well.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: ptidwell on September 28, 2021, 06:57:09 AM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 27, 2021, 04:41:35 PM

Hi,

The article as written should stay as it is as was determined by the original author.  I think that's only fair.

Just so you understand, the very purpose of the wiki when we introduced it was for people to contribute in a format that is more suitable for "article & picture" presentations than this daily forum.

Along with that is the welcome for anyone to be able to contribute their own material to the wiki.

I have often presented original material in the tech wiki and linked back to other valuable references, sources and resources.  It seems that any update on your part could refer and link (he URL) to the helpful original article that has motivated and assisted you so much so far.

Stu, I think that is fair too, but Google will turn up the original and there are minor issues that could be easily corrected.  For example, the diagram showing the Echo charger is unreadable.  And as somebody here pointed out here, the 20A charger is likely under powered.  Ideally the original author could agree to, or even make, any update.

I would be happy to compose a fresh article too, but my expertise is questionable.

I have read many of your articles, BTW, and found them all very helpful.

Kyle  Here's a thought that sometimes works depending on the extent of the edit. 

If it is just minor corrections sometimes I will add a note in the text and "sign" and date it.  Other times I may add notes to the text, and again sign/date it.  But I don't change the original text (unless there is no obvious author and it obviously needs to be revised -- after all that's the purpose/beauty of a wiki site.) Or you could copy the original article and edit it to suit your particular project and publish it (in that case I might credit the original source.)
I could show you examples when I did that but unfortunately for the past many months I cannot link to/access the Wiki.     
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Thanks for the link Noah.  I had seen that photo before and forgot it was yours.  That is likely where and approx how I will do my start battery.  Where did you mount the echo charge?  I plan to use a victron Orion smart DC to DC charger.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

My Echo charger is mounted inside the water heater side door.
Standard Rig

ptidwell

Quote from: Noah on September 29, 2021, 01:58:13 AM
My Echo charger is mounted inside the water heater side door.

I did the same. I actually attached it to the railing that holds the center kitchen drawer in place as there is a trash receptacle attached to the door.  It means I need to get down on my hands and knees to see the LED, but hopefully that will not be necessary often.
Soliton, #929

Noah

Mine sounds like it is in the same spot —not on the door—inside that compartment, above water heater.
Standard Rig

ptidwell

Next question: Did you install a battery switch?  If so where did you mount it?
Soliton, #929

Noah

P- 6(?) years ago I did a complete electrical upgrade. Here are some pics. Pic. 1 in my Blue Sea distribution panel. I do not use the AB/Both switch. I have a separate switch on my house bank. Pic. 2. I also have two switches in the aft cabin for my start battery. Pic. 3 . One switch is a simple off/on for engine battery. The other switch is an emergency switch that combines the two banks if required. I have never had to use that feature. Pic. 4 is my wiring diagram.
Standard Rig

WTunnessen

RE: Starter battery -  Like few others, I relocated mine to the space under the aft cabin cushions.  I glassed in 2 pieces of wood with bolts pointing up which are fastened to a base to hold the battery.  Used Ipe wood since I had leftovers and the stuff is incredibly durable.  The starter battery is charged via echo charger from the house bank located in the head cabinet and is charged by a high output alternator when not on shore power. 
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

ptidwell

Quote from: Noah on September 29, 2021, 07:36:49 PM
P- 6(?) years ago I did a complete electrical upgrade. Here are some pics. Pic. 1 in my Blue Sea distribution panel. I do not use the AB/Both switch. I have a separate switch on my house bank. Pic. 2. I also have two switches in the aft cabin for my start battery. Pic. 3 . One switch is a simple off/on for engine battery. The other switch is an emergency switch that combines the two banks if required. I have never had to use that feature. Pic. 4 is my wiring diagram.

Noah, thanks for sharing!  That is very helpful. 
Soliton, #929

Stu Jackson

Quote from: ptidwell on October 03, 2021, 09:22:30 AM
Quote from: Noah on September 29, 2021, 07:36:49 PM

Noah, thanks for sharing!  That is very helpful.

IIRC, the entire effort is well documented in the tech wiki.  Even more details than were posted here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

LogoFreak

Noah, what type of fuse did you use on your starter battery application?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Noah

200A
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Noah