Round Cabinet/Drawer latch repair.

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbenda50

After agonizing over another broken cabinet latch on my MKII. (I have had at least 7 break in two years) I took matters into my own hands. I have a repair for those latches that will cost about $10 per versus $27 per from CD. Would anyone else be interested in repairing their latches versus new? The repair strengthens the point of failure. Let me know...I am going to have a batch of repair parts made.
Derek Benda
2003 Catalina 34 MKII 1633
S/V Liberty Call

Stu Jackson

That's a really nice offer for a recurring issue.  Would it be impertinent to ask you to share a photo or a description of "The Fix?"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dbenda50

Stu,
Here goes my second try at a reply....I have attached a photo. The gray parts are the 3d printed replacements. The black part is the failed item. All of my latches have failed at the same point. I'll be packing at least five of these spares on my next Bahamas run. The repair is very simple to perform....a caveman could do it!

Side note....The $27 dollar latch replacement from CD also has a beefed up turner...To date I have not had any of the new latches break.....but i'm ready. 
Derek Benda
S/V Liberty Call

Dbenda50

I forgot to include a picture of the latch itself. If you would like one or two spares send me an email. D.Benda at hotmail.
Derek Benda
S/V Liberty Call

Roc

That's interesting.  Mine have never broken. Maybe you got a bad batch of latches.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThat's interesting.  Mine have never broken. Maybe you got a bad batch of latches.

Had a couple of broken ones when I purchased Shamrock.  Replaced them with ones from Catalina Direct.  Haven't broken one in 13 seasons.  Is it possible that it's the way the cabinet is closed?  I tend to turn the latch when I shut the cabinets, not just slam them.  Not saying that's wrong, just saying.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Colonel Butler

I have had several break during the two years I have owned my 2006 MkII. I live in Canada and was able to source replacements from Southco.com and ordered from a local distributor for slightly less than Catalina Direct. The versions in use on my year of boat had a black plastic internal cam that operates the latch. That is what fails where it is screwed to the knob. The new ones are a white plastic material that is beefed up and supposedly a stronger plastic. The 3D printed parts showed here certainly look very robust and should work well. I have also tried a repair of the black plastic cam by filling the recessed screw hole with epoxy and redrilling the hole for the screw and installing a linger screw. So far that repair seems to hold up.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada