Installing a rudder reference on a MKii

Previous topic - Next topic

rmjohns

In an effort to improve my EVO 100 performance, I picked up a rudder reference transducer.  I've been reading through the forum, and saw a good write up on installing a below deck autopilot that talked about installing the reference hanging from the cockpit floor. 

What I haven't found is how have people been attaching the pivot to the stock steering quadrant? I'm guessing I'll have to drill a couple of mounting holes? Is it enough to remove the water tank? Or other suggestions.

The other question is the document says the limits of the reference is 60 degrees.  Does that mean the steering should be limited to 60 degrees? I'm not sure how far the steering goes, but it feels further than 60 degrees, but that's just a gut feel. Have people restricted their steering? I do take it to the stops now getting out of the slip.

Heading down to tomorrow to start digging into it. Just curious if there's any advice.

Thanks
Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Kyle Ewing

I attached a piece of starboard using existing holes in the quadrant and mounted the pivot to the starboard.  The 60 degree limit is for the rudder sensor.  Moving the pivot closer to the rudder post reduces swing and vice-versa.  It took some trial and error to find the best location.  You'll have plenty of room to work once you remove the water tank but mounting it upside down with enough clearance to put the tank back might be tricky. 

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Admiral_Swellson

I have this job (mounting Raymarine rudder position sensor) on my MkII as well.  If Anyone could post photos of their installation, would be happy to see them here!

Jim Hardesty

I installed a rudder position sensor on Shamrock.  As I remember it was a tough job due to working in restricted area and odd positions.  At least for my 70 year old body.  I did make a shorter rudder stop cable.  Checked rudder travel and rudder position travel and it would have over traveled and broken.  I doubt Catalina did the stops to precision so some may not need to be shortened.  Did the install 5 seasons ago, has worked well.  I'll see if I can get a picture from the lockers.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I am guessing there may be a different set of problems to install it on a MK1. 5 or MK2 boat as opposedvto the MKI. Here is mine on a MkI. I made a platform glassed to rudder tube.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Here is a picture of my install on MKll.  As I recall the block had to be angled, thickness wise, to get in a parallel plane to the drive wheel.  It helps to predrill the mounting holes in that block.  Mounted it with 5200.  To remove water tank had to cut the banding straps, replaced with lashing straps from Harbor Freight
https://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html
Hope that helps,
Jim

Picture copied upside down.  I tried and failed to fix.  And was taken reaching into from port locker.

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Admiral_Swellson

Thanks Jim, this helps a lot!  Here's your image rotated.

rmjohns

Thanks Jim, that picture is a great help. I ended up installing a battery monitor instead of the rudder reference this past weekend, but I did take the time to scope out this project more.  It looks like once I remove the tank, the access isn't too bad and the reference arm does fit nicely above the tank as you show.  The only thing I'm scratching my head on now is how far out on the steering quadrant to mount the connector. It looks like in your picture, the distance from the rudder stock to the pivot mount for the connector bar is about the same length as the rudder reference arm. 

Rob
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Jim Hardesty

Rob,
I did a few layouts on paper to get a dimension.  The instructions from Raymarine give a min and max distance from the center of the rudder post.  I attempted to get it in the midpoint.  Suggest drilling extra holes in the mounting block to have lots of choices mounting the sensor.  If using 5200 just don't drill all the way through.  Can't start a screw in a hole full of 5200.  I tried.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Schulcb

Rob,

I have a 2004 mk2 that I purchased with a Raymarine below deck autopilot (very nice!) with a rudder position indicator.

The indicator is mounted to the flange of the aft tank "box", and connected to the rudder post using a hose clamp.

When I bought the boat the connection to the rudder post was not zero'd when rudder was straight, so after fixing this and realizing the precariousness of the install, I am careful with what is stored in the aft lockers, and how the what is stored.

Cheers,
Craig

Craig S.
s/v 2nd Chapter
Hull #1675, 2004 mk2, M35bc, Tall Rig
Vancouver, BC