Knob for Windlass Circuit Breaker

Previous topic - Next topic

bayates

On our Catalina trip a couple of weeks ago as I was pulling the breaker to energize the windlass the knob pulled off in my hand.  The knob is plastic and the threads finally just gave out.  This breaker is obsolete and Catalina Direct is out of stock.  The upgrade requires 2 new breakers and a new control panel all costing around $450 plus for just a plastic knob replacement.   Somewhere after my 2000 or around that time Catalina switched to a aluminum knob and it is much sturdier.

So I am looking to see if anyone has either one of these circuit breaker knobs (plastic or Aluminum), has sourced a replacement or knows of one of the salvage yards in the southeast that I can call to see if they have one or two of them.  I am also checking with Maxwell as they have one that looks identical and checking Klixon who I believe manufactured the breaker and still makes an 80A version.  Trying numerous sources. 

Any and all help is appreciated.

Brian
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

Was broken when I bought Shamrock.  Had plastic knob.   PO was using plyers.  Fortunately he didn't use it much.  I used a metal screw and a made a plastic knob to repair.  Has worked fine since, a dozen years or more. Think the problem was lack of use and got tough to operate, believe this switch/circuit breaker type needs to be exercised often to insure that it works when needed.
Please post if you find a replacement source.  Admittedly my fix looks a bit cobbled together, it was. Stuff I had in my workshop.
FWIW This weekend was talking in an anchorage with a Beneatu owner, a former Catalina owner.  He bemoaned the lack of parts and support from Beneatu.

Hope you find a quick, easy affordable fix.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

bayates

Jim, it looks like I have found a good solution.  I hunted around for a salvaged boat to no avail.  I was able to order two slightly larger SS knurled knob blanks from McMaster Carr and am going to have a machine shop drill and tap them.  The knobs were $11 each and it is a machine shop I have used before so reasonable cost.  Based on my research the threads are 6/32 and I will confirm that next week when I am at the boat. Once I am reread your glad to have two done for you at the same time. I suspect not a huge cost difference to drill & tap 4 versus 2.  The McMaster Carr part number is SSK-150.  They distribute for the company who makes it below.

https://www.swmanufacturing.com/parts-catalog/knobs/knurled-control-knobs/knurled-control-knobs-solid-hub/

Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on September 15, 2021, 04:20:16 AM

Please post if you find a replacement source.  Admittedly my fix looks a bit cobbled together, it was. Stuff I had in my workshop.

Jim

For kicks I did a search and a half ton of threaded knobs showed up, 6-32 female threaded showed up - plastic, stainless - some from Zoro, Grainger, Amazon, and one prethreaded on McMaster.  They're not as flat as the original but a couple are "flat enough."

When I'm looking for something specific I've found that saves time to check the Google images first to find things that LOOK like what I want, and drill down from those.

I wonder if any cabinet pulls from the big box are 6-32?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Brian,
Thanks for your kind offer, but I'm going to pass on it.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Dbenda50

I might be able to an exact replacement manufactured for you if interested....I can check with my guy tomorrow.
Derek Benda
2003 Catalina 34 MKII 1633
S/V Liberty Call

Dbenda50

Best solution I heard so far is to drill out the knob and epoxy in a 6/32 insert. Cheaper and stronger......I like it.
Derek Benda
2003 Catalina 34 MKII 1633
S/V Liberty Call