PSS shaft seal

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hi I have a volvo penta shaft seal on my shaft and I need to change it. So I think to go with a PSS or other, do you have any recommendation for that and what brand do you have on your boat. I have a C34 1997 mk11 with a M35bc. Thank you.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Robert Mann

Andre, I have the PSS shaft seal in my MkII and it has performed well.  I replaced it at more than double the life recommended by the manufacturer, which I'm not proud of.  My boat is in fresh water and after about 18 years the spring was weakened and water would bypass the ceramic seal when the boat was backing down with the transmission in reverse.  I replaced the bellows with the service kit, lapped the stainless steel collar and back it all went.  If you do the work yourself pay close attention to the locking grub screws.  Attached is a picture of mine showing the clearance with a standard coupling, if you have any other layout check the dimensions, (I do know the Buck Algonquin, split coupling will not fit on my boat).
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

andre

Thank I'll check the dimension but I think that is the same of you. I see that you don't have a vent hose? On the store the pss comes with a place for installing a vent hose. But maybe it's not necessary for a sailboat.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Noah

I believe all "newer" modelS now come with a vent/hose.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

WBev

I just put on my son's Pearson in June and spoke with an engineer at PYI directly who was very helpful.  The vent free is available, but must be specified at purchase.  If in doubt, call them.  They answered the phone each time I called, and were very helpful.  I started on their website with a chat.  The chat person turned out to be the guy I spoke with when I called.  I did convert to the vented style, with no burping at launch anymore. He suggested I could just buy the service kit, but I went with the whole thing as you have to take it apart anyway. 
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Robert Mann

Andre, I believe Noah is correct, the new units come with the vent hose.  I only replaced the bellows, clamps and locking screws using the service kit.  I "burp" mine on the rare occasions it is has been out of the water and returned, by separating the ceramic from the stainless collar by hand. 
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC